Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16y8 (d16y6 because its in new Zealand) motor which I believe has an obd2 ecu.
I've been told so far that I have to get a obd1 ecu and harness and mess around with that and disable a few things and get a tune if I turbocharge the engine.
now beer with me here, If I leave the engine stock and don't change the injectors or fuel pump shouldn't I be able to use the stock untuned ecu? My thought process is that the obd2 has a knock sensor that will retard the cam us necessary and there for not require a tune.
also the map is good to 10psi so the stock ecu could compensate for fuel demand.
I'm only looking for 200hp (8psi max boost) for an everyday car so I believe I'm not asking too much from a stock d16.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Once the ECU senses boost it will know something is wrong and go into limp mode. OBD2 is smarter than you think, it knows what's going on. The ECU isn't setup to run a forced induction engine. If you don't want to go OBD2 you could get one of those Greddy or similar turbo kit that comes with an ECU (piggy-back) pre-tuned.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Simple: adding more air into the cylinder means you will need more fuel.

You have alot to learn still.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a D16y8 (d16y6 because its in new Zealand) motor which I believe has an obd2 ecu.
I've been told so far that I have to get a obd1 ecu and harness and mess around with that and disable a few things and get a tune if I turbocharge the engine.
now beer with me here, If I leave the engine stock and don't change the injectors or fuel pump shouldn't I be able to use the stock untuned ecu? My thought process is that the obd2 has a knock sensor that will retard the cam us necessary and there for not require a tune.
also the map is good to 10psi so the stock ecu could compensate for fuel demand.
I'm only looking for 200hp (8psi max boost) for an everyday car so I believe I'm not asking too much from a stock d16.
Any help would be appreciated.
You can ask 200hp from a boosted d16 but the stock injectors will not supply enough to handle that extra air.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
The problem is the ECU cant trim for that much fuel change or retard the timing needed to run the engine safely

1 - 7 of 7 Posts