Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car has a skunk 2 66mm throttle body and a y8 intake manifold with a chipped p06 ECU from HAMOTORSPORTS. I have contacted them about this problem and they say there’s not much they can do without knowing the AFRs. I’m at a loss. The TPS is calibrated you .5 V at closed throttle and 4.62v at WOT (can’t seem to get it to read 4.5v). The car will even backfire out of the intake at partial throttle. The problem only seems to occur after the car starts to warm up. It will not break up upon load when the car is cold. It also seems to start to reek of unburnt fuel at times. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated !

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
backfires out of intake sounds like a timing issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car has a skunk 2 66mm throttle body and a y8 intake manifold with a chipped p06 ECU from HAMOTORSPORTS. I have contacted them about this problem and they say there’s not much they can do without knowing the AFRs. I’m at a loss. The TPS is calibrated you .5 V at closed throttle and 4.62v at WOT (can’t seem to get it to read 4.5v). The car will even backfire out of the intake at partial throttle. The problem only seems to occur after the car starts to warm up. It will not break up upon load when the car is cold. It also seems to start to reek of unburnt fuel at times. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated ! (THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON)

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
what map on the ecu are you running?

since d15b7 is what used P06, I hope its not a d15 map being used to run the Y7. the ignition timing would be off, and fueling would be off as well. Injector data would be off as well.

If MAmotorsports did a d16y7 basemap, they may need you to set the distributor up differently to achieve a different base timing.

Also, 66mm throttlebody is FAR too big to work on an otherwise stock y7 with y8 intake. While you do get crisper throttle response, you just killed a LOT of low and midrange power.

Unburnt fuel, if not timing related, may mean you have incorrect spark plugs or gap.

Can also be a sticky fuel injector. This can be hidden a bit when the car is cold, since it is using more fuel anyways.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
matt, its not the timing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what map on the ecu are you running?

since d15b7 is what used P06, I hope its not a d15 map being used to run the Y7. the ignition timing would be off, and fueling would be off as well. Injector data would be off as well.

If MAmotorsports did a d16y7 basemap, they may need you to set the distributor up differently to achieve a different base timing.

Also, 66mm throttlebody is FAR too big to work on an otherwise stock y7 with y8 intake. While you do get crisper throttle response, you just killed a LOT of low and midrange power.

Unburnt fuel, if not timing related, may mean you have incorrect spark plugs or gap.

Can also be a sticky fuel injector. This can be hidden a bit when the car is cold, since it is using more fuel anyways.
Is there a way I can utilize my y7 TB instead of the 66mm? I only got it because I didn’t want to buy a junk used one and I thought it couldn’t hurt to get something a few mms bigger.

I do believe they sent me the proper map, but i do have a strong feeling the injectors I have are junk. They were from eBay and cost way too little to be decent. Only reason I got them was that a top hat cracked on the old injector and was dying to have the car running. Spark plugs will be checked tomorrow in some daylight. Is there a way I can test my injectors without sending them in for a flow test?

·
Registered
5,841 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
did you aim a timing light at any time on this ?
what injectors ?
base maps are "stupid" gotta tweak that shit when there is unbeknowingsteses ..
Gather some real data about specifics and rebound form there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts