Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is a 1998 Civic EX (D15B VTEC block, with D16Y8 head)

I'm really short of my patience with this car. I've purchased a piece of shit and I'm just trying to get it back to normal working condition so that I can sell it. That's where I am with this thing. With that said here is my issue.

I have a P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

My symptoms are that when I drive sometimes, the car will sporadically go from 2k-3k RPM to just 0. Most of the time it will jump back immediately to the normal RPM level. But if I continue driving the car for more than 5 minutes while it's doing this, the RPM gauge will do what I just described a final time then stay at 0 until I pull over. When I get to a stop the car is already dead.

Bear in mind that the only time it will do this is when it is very hot that day (I live in Mobile, AL so it can get quite humid). I have driven this car to and from work for about 3 days in a row and it will not do this. I'm not sure if the weather is related but I thought that I would throw that out there.

There is some pictures of my exhaust.

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B1RbJboMiJIOSnFaV0UtUGdiUGs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually. I opened up my distributor today. Is the rotor suppose to be that dirty? It appears to be corrosion.

NO FLASH -

FLASH -

Distributor cap -

Do these images match my symptoms?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I work right next to an Autozone, on my lunch break today I bought a rotor and distributor cap for about $30. I went home and installed them with ease. However, now the car does not crank up. It was cranking up when I last drove it about 6 days ago.

Is there something that I could have missed putting the new part in?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Bearing is no good in the dizzy. Take the $30 you spent on cap and rotor and apply it towards a new(or used) dizzy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link BeerDrinkin. That explains everything perfectly. I was looking for a little more depth than "red dust of death".

I'll order one tonight and follow up with hopefully good news.

Thanks again, outty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts