Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my head swap (z6 head on a6) block done. Used a conversion harness to swap obd0 to obd1 and am running a p28. I also did a mild wire tuck while I was at it. When doing this I was very carefull to not put any stress and accidentally de-pin any of the connections.
I just double checked my distributor swap wiring and everything checks out there.
I crank it over and get no spark.

I turn the key back, ground the SCS wire off the conversion harness, turn the key back on and I get a solid CEL light.

From everything I've seen a solid cel means bad ecu. I got the ecu from phearable. He claims to test everything before it goes out the door so I'm thinking that mabey I'm missing something else.

I looked at my manual as far as anything on checking testing distributors and it has nothing.

Any words of advise? Mabey a good plan of action?

I'm guessing (and hoping) that mabey I missed something small.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I'd start with the basics checking all your fuses, those are easy to miss, and check your conversion harnesses again. Both on the ECU side and Dizzy side.

Also do you have access to any other OBD1 ecu's, possibly a friends? Just to plug it in and see if the car will fire?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have access to any other ecu's or distributors to try out.
I bought the distributor a while back. Guy said it was good.. blah blah blah.

When i pulled the cap today the cap and rotor were pretty chewed up. There's a big remanufactured sticker on some of the internals also. That made me feel really confident in the dist. also!!!

I could take out the small distributor swap harness and try my old obd0 distributor. But will it even work with the obd1 ecu???
I know it wouldn't be correct but if the car fired I would know it was a distributor prob.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I'm don't think the OBD0 dizzy will work, but it couldn't hurt just to give it a try. I'd give that a shot. You may even want to pull your injector fuses, just to insure the engine won't fire (if it does it'll spray gas all over the place). That way you'll only be testing to see if the dizzy is making spark (don't forget to ground the plug threads out when you test it).

If you're old one does make spark, it's either the new dizzy or the conversion harness. At this point check to make sure you have continuity on all wires in the harness (you've probably already done this but never hurts to do it again).

If you do have continuity, I'd start thinking about ECU/Dizzy. I'd lean toward dizzy, it sounds more sketchy than the ECU.

If you can find either the ECU or Dizzy in a local junk yard you could always buy, test, and return if it doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
also make sure ur thermostat ground is on
thermostat ground huh... I'll have to check that out. Will a bad ground there cause no spark.
I did do a lot of work back by the thermostat while i was working on the tuck.
Home with my sick 6year old son today so i may not be able to look at it till tomorrow

update... bummer. Ground is bolted on the thermo housing. Was hoping it had push on connectors and i was gonna get an easy fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts