Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok not sure how this works but does a wideband take the place of an 02 sensor. the reason i ask is because im throwing a o2 sensor code and its 379 for an o2 sensor for a 1992 civic vx and the others are way way cheaper. alos whats the difference in models and why is it so expensive

·
Registered
631 Posts
usually its because of the wires. correct me if im wrong, but i believe the hx and vx o2 have 5 wires instead of 4. I ordered my o2 sensor off ebay. And it works great, no more check engine light. i ran my car for 1 year and a half with o2 check engine.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
A wideband O2 sensors output is 0-5 volts whereas the standard O2 sensor is in the 0-1.2 volt range... on a stock ECU the wideband O2 will not work IIRC... The biggest thing the wideband is used for is in tuning your engine... since it has a larger voltage range it offers a much higher resolution and better insight on the AFR of your car... they also require a controller for the wideband sensor...

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Just to clear some things up:

VXs use a stock WBO2 sensor(hence the 5 wires).

In addition to that, some wideband controllers can be configured to output a narrowband signal(I know first-hand Innovate and AEM UEGO units do this), and can effectively be used to replace a narrowband O2 sensor.

The VX unit is pretty much its own design(no other car uses that style/connector O2 sensor) hence why it's so expensive. If more cars had the same design, I'm sure the price would be lower.

I'm not sure if the P07 ECU can read other types WBO2 sensors but I've always wondered if it were possible to just create a adapter harness of some sort and use one meant for another vehicle that may be cheaper(ie: The Bosch VW-style unit used in Innovate's kits are about $50).

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
if you have a 1996 EX, you have teh d16y8. it uses the normal 4 wire o2 sensors

they are 40-120 bucks for an aftermarket

no need for oem unless you want that extra 0.5% gasmileage coming from a sensor the system was designed with

·
Registered
5,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Post a pic of your O2 sensor.
If it has one green one white and two black wires it has a 4 wire o2 sensor and they can be had for cheap on ebay.
If its a 5 wire job and the wires are
red/white/black/grey/yellow and the sensor says bosch its a regular WB sensor and those can also be had for cheap on ebay.
If its a rare honda sensor or a NTK or or custom WB then you have no choice but to buy it from Honda but I doubt that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help guys iwill post a pic ina few gotta ea dinner with the wife and i have he d15z ina 92 vx hatch my screename is from my older civic

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
why?
A good tune will save more gas without an O2 sensor than the stock tune will with an o2 sensor.

Ive been in 3 different cars with a superb tune without an O2

they freakin SUCKED after a good hour down the interstate

intake gets heated up, now they are running rich as hell

The o2 is important on a MAP car like our sohcs.

Now if it was a MAP and MAF equipped motor like the later K20s/24s then no O2 is fine since the ecu is monitoring both pressure and flow

see what Im saying man? silly man, have a beer and read up on how mr honda cheaped out and gave us MAPs instead of the way better MAFs

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Ive been in 3 different cars with a superb tune without an O2

they freakin SUCKED after a good hour down the interstate

intake gets heated up, now they are running rich as hell
Sounds like the IAT compensation was wrong...

What are your prerequisites for a "superb" tune?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sounds like the IAT compensation was wrong...

What are your prerequisites for a "superb" tune?
This.

Ive personally seen a honda tuned with disabled closed loop with rock solid AFRs while cruising for long periods of time, tuned by none other than tw34k (a member on here)

I suppose I can understand though, most tuners are idiots, its pretty hard to find someone who knows how to tune a car for mileage and driveability.
If those tunes were superb then a tw34k tune must be OMGWTFBBQ BEST TUNEZ EVER!!1

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
IAT compensation was okay.

I mant that on a different day, a long haul down tehn interstate made it rich.

MAP tunes are a general basis. They rely on MAP, TPS, and O2 to really optimize the mioxture

for teh entire day it was tuned, they ran great. come nightfall, they were starting to run slightly lean from the cooler air.

IAT compensation can only go so far here in wisconsin. bitch can change 20 degrees on a whim lol

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I've seen good and bad with O2 disabled. Mainly worse fuel economy and slight trouble with significant change in elevation with O2 disabled. Though, a street tune would fix the fuel economy and choosing a "conservation" AFR to tune for to compensate changes in elevation.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I would just keep the o2 enabled. it goes bad what, every 5 years or so?

no need to disable it

I haz gasmileagezz with it

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
ok not sure how this works but does a wideband take the place of an 02 sensor. the reason i ask is because im throwing a o2 sensor code and its 379 for an o2 sensor for a 1992 civic vx and the others are way way cheaper. alos whats the difference in models and why is it so expensive
Unfortunately you have a D15Z1 VTEC-e Vx that has a factory wideband o2 that is not really a wide band(Pump Cell Sensor).

This is the cheapest I have seen them:
NTK Oxygen Sensors 24302 - NTK Replacement Wideband Oxygen Sensors for Powerdex AFX Monitors - Overview - SummitRacing.com $149.99

NTK L2H2
Replaces the Original 5 Wire L1H1
NTK # LZA-09-E1(NGK 24300)
NTK Sensor for FAST Classic ECU
Fast # 307000
Honda # 36531-P07-003
36531-P2M-A01
36531-P2M-A02
Motec # 57003
Bosch # 13246
Bosch # 13025

1 - 20 of 28 Posts