Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i emailed a tuner about tuning my car, and he emailed me back with a checklist for things that he would lke my car to have done before he tunes it.

The very first item on the checklist was as follows:

"Do you have an 02 bung that is at least 6" away
from the turbo (FI) or 12" from the exhaust manifold
(NA) and no farther then 6" away from the exhaust
outlet?"

With that said, here is a pic of my downpipe:

As you can see, the o2 bungs which would retain my o2 sensor are located at the very end of the downpipe, which is nowhere near where he said he wanted it to tune my car.

My question is, should i just get a new bung welded in about 6-8" away from the exhaust housing, and just plug those other 2 holes up?

Also, has anyone done or heard of putting the o2 sensor this close to the turbo? Im worried about the EGT being to extreme that close, but i guess where the other o2 bungs are located currently in the pic above isnt to much of a difference, well, at least temperature wise...............

any info would be great. Thanks alot

kendall

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
my tuner used the bung on the o2 housing of my turbo when we tuned...
Easiest thing would be to get a new bung welded in (i'd put it in right after the flex section)...

·
Registered
313 Posts
isn it best to get the signal as early as possbile? So why not on the Manifold? or the colector (betwen turbo and manifold)

I have no clue, just asking...Dont get angry though :)

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts
Are the sensors heated? If so the current placement will be fine. The only reason it is advised to have it closer to the turbine is to assure it gets hot enough to burn off any carbon deposits since the turbo removes so much heat from the exhaust.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so welding the bung about 6" away from the exhaust housing will suit just fine?

Thanks for all of the help everyone

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
so welding the bung about 6" away from the exhaust housing will suit just fine?

Thanks for all of the help everyone
yeah, any closer than taht is just not ideal (but will work).... Just make sure the bung is not between 3 and 9 (don't want condensation to sit on the o2 sensor...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts