Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a d16y8 in place of the d16y7 on my 99 civic.

Come to find out motor's originally an automatic, yet the swap was ok ... everything bolted fine to the wiring harness & ecu (p2p for 5speed tranny)
problem is-
I have CEL code - (65) secondary o2sensor circuit.

Can anyone please give me the details on the proper way to wire the 2ndary o2sensor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
for the civic ex, the secondary 02 sensor is run through the under dash wire harness. you could switch out the harness or like i did. i just wired the second o2 sensor right into the ecu. the easiest way to go is obd 1 conversion, but if your state requires the obd 2 plug to pass inspection, you wont pass inspection. because it will not read the obd 1 ecu. thats why i had to wire my second o2 sensor into the p2p ecu. but if your state doesnt require that than, obd 1 conversion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, vern1980! I've done xactly the same thing; wired it to the ecu... I do need obd2 . Please, give me more details ... do you remember what color wires went where, & what pinouts you plugged into? Very apreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Extremely helpful, vern1980.
belated thanks.

One more thing. Serious, I've done this before but have lost the skill...
How do I "pull' the wires from the pinout connectors?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you,
I am having trouble with the second O2 sensor in my car for the same reason. I looked under the dash at the ecu and it is hacked all to hell. I will post how it turns out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea thanks on the input, White Ice. Please post here of what exactly ya'll did to resolve the issue.

It's been a learning experience. Here's where I'm at: I used the color diagram that vern1980 gave & confirmed my connections with the Honda manual & a voltmeter. Everything checks out except 1 of my heater wires has like 4 hundredths of a volt. Not sure why it's so low. I realized some heater wires are shielded to block out unwanted frequency & to stay within a narrow voltage. I found out the shield wasn't grounded, so I tied it into the primary o2s shield. still having the same CEL.

Since I have the old harness, I think I'll pull out the y8 harness on the engine side & reinstall my y7. It's going to be a hella lot of work, but least I know I can be able to extend the 2ndary o2s. Both o2s are wired on the engine side & it should work (like it was origninally). That's all I can think of...

Thank you all so very much for your interest & advice. I'll be back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts