Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here.

I've been planning a build on my D16Y8 i have currently with 210k miles, planning on rebuilding and going turbo.

Now with that being said and a lot of reading i've done i see that for example with Vitara rods you have to notch the block.

With that in mind i was wondering what options are there out there for forged rods that would not require notching the block. Or if i have a misconception regarding this and notching is only required in certain cases.

Thank you :D

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,025 Posts
notch it and be done with it.

·
Registered
2000 Civic Hatch EJ6
6 Posts
Even with the Skunky rods built for the vitara's, you need to notch the block. There's a good write up on notching with plenty of pictures showing how much to notch. Only took me an afternoon. In most cases you'll need to notch the girdle as well.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
There are no "good" rods that fit D16 blocks without notching. You need to do it, and its not a big deal.

Just drop a piston on the rod, no rings. Slam the old bearings in the block, slam the old bearings in a rod, drop it all in, torque it down to what ever you want, and spin it over. Its not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it's a not a big deal and i don't mind doing it if i have to, just wanted to get my facts straight before i jump in lol. But thanks, i think i know what i'll be doing next month now :D

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
There are no "good" rods that fit D16 blocks without notching. You need to do it, and its not a big deal.

Just drop a piston on the rod, no rings. Slam the old bearings in the block, slam the old bearings in a rod, drop it all in, torque it down to what ever you want, and spin it over. Its not a big deal at all.
Theres alot of banging slamming and dropping here, do you work on FORDs for a living?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Fords aren't so bad! Unless you expect the timing chains and guides to last. :)

Crower rods don't require notching
On D16's? I've had a few D15s that didnt need notching. But if so, cool good to know too bad they are like $800!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts