Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
someone told me that its not necessary to use gaskets (turbo to dp, turbo to manifold, etc) because they get too hot and would just blow anywyas. he said he doesnt use any on his race car.
thoughts?
I would def use one for the manifold to turbo but you don't need to have one for the turbo to downpipe. I would also use one for the manifold to wastegate. I use gaskets on everything because I had them when I put everything together.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
manifold to wastegate is necessary to prevent unnecessary heat from deteriorating your WG diaphragm

as for the rest, if the surfaces are true, you wont have any leaks.
IE; home made DP flange = gasket
weirtech DP flange = no gasket

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
I have gaskets on my turbo to manifold and on my manifold to wastegate. I just used high temp silicone on the turbo to dp and haven't had any issues.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I have gaskets on my turbo to manifold and on my manifold to wastegate. I just used high temp silicone on the turbo to dp and haven't had any issues.
Same here.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i have a copper gasket turbo-dp , metal ring gasket wg to exh maniflod.....and a metal one mani to turbo....
i have heard tho if all your flanges are machined true that the carbon will fill the tiny gaps to seal them.....but i had gasket when o built so i used em

·
Registered
336 Posts
you can cut up a soda can if you really think you need one and use it as a gasket
Or get a thin sheet of copper at Ace hardware and cut copper gaskets, another option. I use copper gasket on manifold to turbo and the metal one that came w/ my Tial wg on manifold to wg. Don't have anything on turbo to dp.

Justin

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
engine to manifold,
manifold to turbo,
and wastegate.

all of the above are the vital points that you should be concerned about putting a gasket on. any leaks on these points can affect spool time drastically just like having your wastegate open all the time.
the downpipe isnt that big of an issue, but a nice thick bead of permatex copper high temp should be applied to reduce the risk of the turbo inhaling exhaust gases.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
use copper on my downpipe to turbo... only because the slightest leak will cause your wideband to read some crazy air fuels

·
Registered
259 Posts
Best gaskets that are homemade are made from the new flat like licence plates, remove the printing that's on the plates, its like a sticker. Then take 2 of the plates and bond them together with some kinda high temp epoxy, trace your gasket out, cut them out and bam, best homemade gasket for exhausts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts