Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm going to be attempting my first swap and I'd like some insight...First of all I'm 16 in highschool and my shop teacher is kindly letting me use the school's shop to do my swap :).

I'm swapping out the old d15b7 I messed up with a JDM d15b vtec. Is it going to be very complicated? I mean, I would think it's as simple as drain out the fluids, remove wheels and axles, disconnect hoses and wiring, undo the engine mounts and yank out the old toss in the new and hook it up right? Just how difficult/complicated can it be? Any help is GREATLY appreciated thanks. I haven't bought the engine yet I'll have the money in 2 or 3 pay checks.

And another thing I've heard of is the ecu for the d15b. Is it a good idea to use it? Something about the smog/emissions? I'm using it anyway because I know where to get my car inspected ;) they won't care about that.

Any input is appreciated a lot seriously thanks. Gotta get my car running :D.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You also would need to wire VTEC.

For the ECU you can use a P28 from a `92-`95 Si or EX if you can't get a P08 to go with the D15B.

·
Registered
HONDA
368 Posts
yeah it pretty much a strait forward D to D swap, you will need to wire vtec its 3 wires and a P28 would be your ECU or a P06 with vtec added. The best ECU would be the P08 JDM D15B ECU. replace anything you think might be a problem in the future. i just did a swap like this, maybe think about ordering a header and new clutch along with the swap. good luck

·
Registered
555 Posts
you know how to do it, now its just the matter of doin it. D2D aint nothin, ive swapped plenty of them with basic hand tools, a jack, and no hoist. im 16 to

i never ran a po8 but i like the p28, wiring your vtec wont be a problam

vtec pins:

vtec solenoid - a4
pressure switch - d6
and a ground

·
Registered
555 Posts
sounds like a 92-95 to be pullin a d15b7 out of it, cant be a cx, Si, or ex. unless this wasnt the motor that came out of the car in the first place

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pulling out a d15b7 from my 93' dx sedan :). But the problem is I have hardly any experience. Is it really THAT simple? I mean if it really is just how I described it above then it shouldn't be that difficult but I've never done this sort of thing before. I've been researching online for some time now on honda swaps but never any hands-on. I'm a REAL NOOB to working on cars in general I mean the most I've done is an oil change LOL. But I really want to make this work it's my first car n shit and I got such a thrill driving it! Thanks for the responses guys any more tips?

Maybe a walkthrough or set of steps or something to get me started?

·
Registered
787 Posts
trust me just unbolt shit and ur good to go its realy simple a noob could get it donw within id say 4-5 hours

·
Registered
787 Posts
drain all fluids,oil,coolent,tranz
disconect your wireing harness
pop out axles( move them out of the way)
undo the shift linkage,
take off any suports
undo all mounts
take out the motor
pretty much thats it in a nut shell

·
Registered
787 Posts
opps forgot one thing undo the line for your clutch either hydrolic or cable

·
Registered
555 Posts
slave cylinder, yea you got it. that shiftlinkage is a bitch, go get a 8mm punch to get it out. anything else most of the time youll be there all night tryina bang it out

·
Registered
787 Posts
slave cylinder, yea you got it. that shiftlinkage is a bitch, go get a 8mm punch to get it out. anything else most of the time youll be there all night tryina bang it out
no he realy dosent need that i just ussualy unbolt the 4 bolts holding both forks together on the accual shifter and just let it hang

·
Registered
787 Posts
ull be fine u and if ur not sure of anything just ask ur teacher thats what hes there for

·
Registered
787 Posts
good luck let us know how its going

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
O yea for sure...just gotta wait a few weeks to order the goods (2 more paydays) then I'll get right to it and bring this thread back if it dies. And get a pic of my hood open with my new engine for my avatar :D.

Thanks a lot for the input guys I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something over my head and waste $900.

·
Registered
555 Posts
keep us posted, but use the punch. itll be easyer for your first swap, all you do is take the clip off, punch the pin out an your straight. then take a 12mm wrench to your shift stabalizer

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
trust me just unbolt shit and ur good to go its realy simple a noob could get it donw within id say 4-5 hours
Maybe a super noob in 4-5 hours, lol. The easy part is swapping the engine out, the time consuming part is trying to figure out why it doesnt run right ;) But swaps are usually pretty easy with these hondas.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts