Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my car after building the new engine (D15B VTEC) for awhile now and i feel that it has some problems, i feel it runs heavy and it shows itself more when i go uphill, it moves like snail and my FC sucks too! even worse than my fucked up engine. the car has an auto gearbox (i now it sucks!!!) so few time i had to put it in 1 or 2 so it get some power or turn off the A/C! (EACV also has some problems which i think i should change it!) i feel that there s a lot of pressure on engine without making enough power on wheels but when it get some speed it quickly become pretty fast. :confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How steep on these hills? goddamn...
pretty steep!! mountain road going to top of it. the problem is that i could see other auto car move easily while mine was blowing up the engine to move!! it was pissing me off! :TD:

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
pretty steep!! mountain road going to top of it. the problem is that i could see other auto car move easily while mine was blowing up the engine to move!! it was pissing me off! :TD:
wait what RPM does it have to get too..in order to get enough power to start acceleration up the hill?..my D has to downshift..n get to about 3500 inorder for me to get some acceleration up a hill...in order to hold a steady speed on a 45 degree hill...im at abouy 2900-3000..

D16Y7 (lx sedan) (I/IM/H/E auto tranny)...full interior..and subs and spare tire..plus 2 quarts of oil..jumper cables..i know those dont make a big difference..but it all adds up...thats justt he auto tranny for u imo...

unless its REAL bad..like u need ot get up to 5000 just to get some steady acceleration..then tahts bad

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wait what RPM does it have to get too..in order to get enough power to start acceleration up the hill?..my D has to downshift..n get to about 3500 inorder for me to get some acceleration up a hill...in order to hold a steady speed on a 45 degree hill...im at abouy 2900-3000..

D16Y7 (lx sedan) (I/IM/H/E auto tranny)...full interior..and subs and spare tire..plus 2 quarts of oil..jumper cables..i know those dont make a big difference..but it all adds up...thats justt he auto tranny for u imo...

unless its REAL bad..like u need ot get up to 5000 just to get some steady acceleration..then tahts bad
what could be wrong if it doesn't make acceleration around 3K? it was actually struggling to go up!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would check your timing. If its retarded too much the car will run fine but not have any power. Is the check engine light on? Any codes?

Even with the automatic tranny, the car should have decent power with that motor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i worked at a tranny shop i seen this alot mainly on dodge minivans i belive ur tranny is slipping not enough to notice during normal driving but when the tranny gets a real load on it it causes the motor to rev real high and it dosnt go anywhere its not like a noticable slip that would jerk .but enough to make you think its the motor and it isnt.im guessing that you car has high miles and if you have never change the tranny fluid i wouldnt if you do you will really be on downtime..it will only make it worse...change you tranny fluid every 3 oil changes (auto)..hope this helps.only thing i suggest is get a manual tranny..GL

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic VTI
838 Posts
in order to hold a steady speed on a 45 degree hill...
where did u find this 45deg hill? the stepest street in the world:

at its maximum, the slope of Baldwin Street is approximately (19° or 35%) - that is, for every 2.86 metres travelled horizontally, the altitude rises by 1 metre.
what GODSPEED said sounds pretty plausable

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
id say 1 auto tranny, 2 having a motor with no tq that wants to rev...
what should i do about lack of tq? :confused:

I would check your timing. If its retarded too much the car will run fine but not have any power. Is the check engine light on? Any codes?

Even with the automatic tranny, the car should have decent power with that motor.
no the engine check light is not on! the EACV and fast idle have dome problems which i need to change later when i got some money!

i worked at a tranny shop i seen this alot mainly on dodge minivans i belive ur tranny is slipping not enough to notice during normal driving but when the tranny gets a real load on it it causes the motor to rev real high and it dosnt go anywhere its not like a noticable slip that would jerk .but enough to make you think its the motor and it isnt.im guessing that you car has high miles and if you have never change the tranny fluid i wouldnt if you do you will really be on downtime..it will only make it worse...change you tranny fluid every 3 oil changes (auto)..hope this helps.only thing i suggest is get a manual tranny..GL
i have just changed the tranny fluid when i rebuild the engine. my gearbox has LSD but after building the new engine i don't feel that much grip on the road when cornering! before this was much better, now it slips a bit and i have to be careful when i accelerate while cornering!

this is teh fluid i have used this time :

is this one good?

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
where did u find this 45deg hill? the stepest street in the world:
haha yeah well..it feels pretty damn steep..i really cant eye how much a slope rises..but if it makes u happy i was exagerrating..in other words..its a really steep hill..enough so taht if u stop n start again..its a guarantteed spin out of the tires..4wd auto/manual dry and hot..if u were from this area u'd know..there is 2 of them right nxt to each other...right by our ice rink..leads from main street..to this road called town hill....i have an auto tranny..and i dare not go up taht hill with the civic n with ppl in the car..ill be burning out all day...n if u even let ur car roll back.. dont expect to catch traction...until it the road levels out..its badd..i dunno y they made it that way

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha yeah well..it feels pretty damn steep..i really cant eye how much a slope rises..but if it makes u happy i was exagerrating..in other words..its a really steep hill..enough so taht if u stop n start again..its a guarantteed spin out of the tires..4wd auto/manual dry and hot..if u were from this area u'd know..there is 2 of them right nxt to each other...right by our ice rink..leads from main street..to this road called town hill....i have an auto tranny..and i dare not go up taht hill with the civic n with ppl in the car..ill be burning out all day...n if u even let ur car roll back.. dont expect to catch traction...until it the road levels out..its badd..i dunno y they made it that way
helloooooo??? i don't think the topic is about how steep is your road! can somebody answer my questions?

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
sry..well liek stated above..what godspeed said could make sense...when ur car shifts..do u feel it like clunk into gear?..or when it cahnges gear..does it rev b4 catching?..almsot like an neutral drop type feeling...cuz then it could be ur tranny is going...

or possibly just that it is the lack of tq..maybe up hill ur fuel pump isnt strong enough..n urh unning lean...hoenstly these r all theories...i have never heard of such a big problem with climbing a hill...except the fact that our engines just have that lack of power...

·
Registered
41 Posts
You still may have problems, but unless you have that sucker boosted to the moon, its still a 1.5 torqueless wonder. It will never go up a steep hill with ease. Get a V8 or V6 vehicle if its an issue. Sorry, its a Honda.

But do make sure its in good condition. Motor and transmission. Let a shop look it over and give you an estimate, most places will check it over for free.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts