Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have a question and it involves a non-d series motor but the only other place i have a membership to is hondaswap and i find the people on that forum a little (difficult). but um i saw a listing for a 94 gsr head on a b20 block for sale near my house in ruuning condition and is selling for 700 i know that a b18c1 sells for much more then 700 i was just wondering if a b18c1 wood work well with a b20 block and if it worth looking at??

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
b20 vtecs if done right could be very great motors. they can see some nice times also! if everythings in good condition and works i say go for it and build it right! you would have a nice little motor for not much money!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
ya, for the price, you'd be getting a good engine

what do you plan for this engine? NA, boost, or are you just gonna do basic bolt ons and call it a day?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Either way, a B20/Vtec is going to rock! Well worth $700 if it was done right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill probably build it na for a while basic bolt ons then save for a home made turbo kit ,be my everyday driver sick of the amazing 3.1 chevy lumina (otherwise known as (THE LUMINATOR)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The problem is, finding a good quality B-series hydro tranny can run ya $500-800. Then you need mounts, brackets, shift linkage and axles, and possibly exhaust components to put it in. Add in misc little broke pieces that need to replaced, and you are easily looking at another $1000 on top of the engine cost just to get it in the car.

Also, be sure the block is a B20Z block. If you put a GS-R head on a B20B block, the compression is stupid low and will perform worse than a normal GS-R. B20B pistons = 9.3:1, B20Z = 10.2:1. Big difference there. If he has aftermarket pistons or some other high compression stock piston, it should be fine. Rod bolts need to be replaced with ARP pieces in order to get any amount of revs from it - stock B20 block is only designed to rev to 6k, you need to rev an LS/B20/vtec to at least 8k.

Also, a B20/vtec is a terrible choice for boost - the sleeves are notorious for failing under extremely low amounts of boost. The engine would need to be resleeved, which would put you looking at a full block rebuild.

Just trying to give you the info. :)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
b20z is hard to find. b20b all day 450 bux.
They're fine if the swap the pistons. I guess they are ok if you don't have anything else... but 9:1 B-series with no boost? The dynamic compression would suck.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
even if he had to pay 1000 on top of it 1700 for a b20 vtec isnt bad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts