Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, im startin a new build for the "big money race" in june, i just came across a nice ass deal for a b16a1 block for 200. im gonna either run a 12:1 or go with the type R pistons for the 11.1, and a good set of rods. ill be running a b18c1 head, PnP, maybe a 3angle vj, Ti retainers and valve springs and a big duration cam. its going to be goin into my 93cx hatch.

am i going to have any wiring problams with it being an obd0 block?

can i use the b18c1 harness? im going to run the b16 manifold

should i keep the p28 or should i run the b16 ecu

and with it being an ef block will it bolt straight up? im going to use the hydro b16 tranny

any help will get rep, this is my first b series build

·
Registered
Crx
292 Posts
first i must say i wouldnt waste the time with a b16 block, hopefully its not to late.b16s just lack the bottom end power. you would be happier with a d16 than a b16. now if you can find a b18 or b20 block that would be alot better plan.

you wont run into any problems using an obd0 block with an obd1 setup so you can sleep easy there.

yes you can use the c1 harness or you can use the cx civic stock harness either way you will have to add vtec to the ecu.

if your 12:1 cr i would recommend using the p28 with your tuning software of choice ( i highly recomend a hondata s300 and can set you up with a very good tuner in north west florida since your as close as alabama), if you dont want editing software then its best to use a b16 ecu for a b16 or if you go to a 1.8 use a p72

and yes any b series block will bolt up to any beseries trans, just make sure you get the right mounts for the style of transmission either hydro or cable.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
first about the wiring problems, it should work just fine cuz my boy just put and obd0 block in a 2000 Si,

im not sure about the harness so im not gonna give u bad info,

on the ecu, i would just chip out the p28 if ur going obd1,

and on the mounts, im not 100% sure but i think it wont bolt straight up, u have to use 92 and up b-series mounts, i know from experince that an EF sohc wont bolt to 92-95, so I imagine that the same applies to the b-series

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
first i must say i wouldnt waste the time with a b16 block, hopefully its not to late.b16s just lack the bottom end power. you would be happier with a d16 than a b16. now if you can find a b18 or b20 block that would be alot better plan.
I agree. I'd take an LS over a B16 anyday.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, yea i was leanin more towards chipping the p28, the main reason for the b16 block was its gonna be of a more top end motor than anything, seein that the tracks are gonna be quarter mile. its good to know about the cx harness ive already ran vtec and 4 wire O2 when i did the z6 swap.

ill start a build thread on it on the first when i start, might be a little later the thought of a NA b20 vtec is startin to hit me

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
eh, i like b16s. I have an LS now but that was just because of convenience, I think my next motor will definitely be a b16 again. 200 isnt really a bad price, but its not a great one either...did you already get it or can you talk them down?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
thanks, yea i was leanin more towards chipping the p28, the main reason for the b16 block was its gonna be of a more top end motor than anything, seein that the tracks are gonna be quarter mile. its good to know about the cx harness ive already ran vtec and 4 wire O2 when i did the z6 swap.

ill start a build thread on it on the first when i start, might be a little later the thought of a NA b20 vtec is startin to hit me
N/A CR-VTEC is sick! I want an all motor B series soooo bad.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
na i havent bought it yet, im gonna tryin talk him down by the first, if not im gonna go for it anyways. i gotta pull this build out of my ass to have it done, i wont have but the time from march15th when i get my license back until its time to head down to montgomery to the races. the only other way i got for makin money is doin cars until i can get a job.

yea dude has tryed the NA b20vtec 3 times and failed everytime, i was wantin to buy his whole set up and show him out on it, but hes just goin to boost the straight b20.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
at times i'm not the britest bulb in the pack, but... i was always led to believe that a B16 and the B18c were the same head, with only the difference of cams. in fact here's is someone in clubsi forums spec.

this is was purduin a si poor man's type R setup

Engine
Made 191 whp @ 94% duty cycle on stock 240's and stock cams on a hot 101* day

-B18c5 USDM ITR Short Block
-B16b JDM CTR Pistons (PCT)
-Micropolished and Chamfered Crank
-Balanced and Blueprinted Rotating Assembly
-OEM ITR Rods
-ARP Rod Bolts
-ARP Head Studs

-B16b JDM CTR Head
-Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
-OEM ITR Water Pump, Timing Belt, Oil Pump, etc
-Spoon Thermostat
-OEM 3 Layer Headgasket

Bolt-Ons
-Password JDM Carbon Fiber Intake
-Spoon Sports 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector
-Carsound 2.5" High Flow Cat
-Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent catback Piping
-A'pexi WS2 Axle-back Exhaust
-Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts
-AEM High Flow Fuel Filter
-NGK Spark Plug Wires
-NGK V-Power Spark Plugs
-Password JDM Magnetic Oil and Tranny Drain Plug Set

Fuel Management
-Chipped P28 ECU
-Boomslang OBD2b-OBD1 Conversion Harness
-Hondata S100

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
niice, the difference im wantin between the b16 and b18c1 head is the 1.1mm smaller combustion chamber of the gsr. every little bit is goin to help with this build

what kind of times was he gettin

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
i was always led to believe that a B16 and the B18c were the same head, with only the difference of cams.
B16 head is as near as dammit to a B18c-R head which is the same as a B16b head, but the standard B18c head is quite different. (mainly due to the fact that GSR b18c's run dual intake runners)
The poor man's type R is a B18c block with B18cR or B16b pistons and a ported B16a head. Which is essentially what you described above.
Remember a B16b is actually a de-stroked B18c-R.

niice, the difference im wantin between the b16 and b18c1 head is the 1.1mm smaller combustion chamber of the gsr. every little bit is goin to help with this build
Allegedly the gsr head does not flow as well. You're better to get your compression using B16b pistons or by shaving a B16a head than with a gsr head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts