Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much cursing and lots of getting dirty, I got my old worn out suspension replace with some nice pretty ohlins road & track coilovers.

However when I drove it around the block I heard some "clacking" coming from the rear, like something was loose and banging around. Took the wheels off, looked and the rear, and everything is good and tight.

I had my wife bounce on the trunk while I looked at everything and it appears to be happening on the rebound stroke. Spring bind?

It's going into the shop on Monday anyway (not for this, but I'll be mentioning it) so I'll be letting them know it's happening. Anyone else experienced something similar ... is it just something that will work itself out as the springs settle? It was mildly disconcerting.

I tried it one more time after a day of sitting and it's still making the noise (just compressing the suspension by hand). After thinking a bit, maybe I didn't tighten the lock nut on the top of the rear struts enough. It said to tighten it to 30 Nm but I don't have a torque wrench with a hole in it (to get to the groove at the top to hold the shaft still). Anyone know if that could cause the sound I'm hearing?

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
365 Posts
30Nm isn't all that tight - about a quarter to a third of what your road wheels need, probably. So I'd be surprised if you didn't tighten the lock nut enough. Are the spring ends seated correctly?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I dropped it off at the shop and I explained what it was doing.

The guy kinda grinned and said ... I bet you did what I did.

I may have installed the bearing spacers backwards/upside down. :/

Guess I'll see when I get it back in a few days.

Yeah the springs are seated properly with the right amount of preload, I measured everything to make sure it was right according to the manuals ... I got everything to within 1/8" - 1/16" of each other.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
When we did the drop on my buddies Mazda he had a rattle in the back end. Two things, one, we did not tighten the top hat bolt down enough, it gets hard to do by your self, we had a hard time with no solid table mount or anything to grab/lodge it between. Once we worked out the leverage we got it cinched enough. Second we have a plastic gasket between the chassis and top hat we missed first time.

Shop should get it no problem, unless you broke it........lol jk, shes gunna ride nice in the bends when they get the settings dialed.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out I was right. I didn't get the lock nut all the way down the threads. The strut rod was bouncing out of the top hats.

I guess I didn't get the fronts tight enough either, but they weren't nearly as noisy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts