Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to tune a turbo B18B this morning for a customer, just looking for some comments on power level.

B18B with forged pistons / rods... stock otherwise
T3/T4 turbo - unknown trim
Smallish looking intercooler...
750CC RC injectors

Tuned with Crome @ 21 psi

The owner wanted a very, very conservative tune. The above dyno is with timing set @ 0.75 deg retard per psi, and the A/F is nailed at 12:1. Not a hint of detonation or abnormal combustion.

I felt like there was another 30-40 whp to be gained with more aggressive timing. We had plenty of injector left, but the turbo was out of it's efficiency range already. Didn't pick up any power @ 24 psi vs 21-22.

The thing was a handful to drive on street tires anyway... no motor mount inserts, torque dampers or traction bars. :(

Any thoughts?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I was honestly expecting more for that boost level. But still good nonetheless:TU:

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
gotta be a small t3/t4 and intercooler. i had a friend that did 330 on his ls teg with a small t3/t4 and a smallish intercooler at over 20psi. he upgraded and hit that at i think it was 12-15psi on a large turbo lol. any way you put it, 300+whp make me me so honay

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
seems nice.

im such a retard... i looked at the top half of the dyno sheet and notice that the lines are in the shape of a CRX

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone. Like I said, timing was conservative so more power was definitely available at this boost level. The I/C was tiny, so I know that wasn't helping things. We did hit 368 when we let it cool down and do another pull, but the A/F was a little off. That was 2-3 pulls before this one.

The lean spot @ 4k is only like 12.3:1, and I tuned it out a couple pulls later. ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That would be surprising for someone to build a non vtec b and not swap a head on, vtec + boost = 60hp
lol not everyone has the extra $$, i know i didnt. I had all the other shit laying around pretty much and didnt have any more for a head at the moment. I guess i couldve done the head but not built the bottom end, but I figure its easier to do the bottom first and then swap heads later on.

·
Registered
civic
1,481 Posts
lol not everyone has the extra $$, i know i didnt. I had all the other shit laying around pretty much and didnt have any more for a head at the moment. I guess i couldve done the head but not built the bottom end, but I figure its easier to do the bottom first and then swap heads later on.
Im not one to do things 2 times lol

The cost of a tune vs head is about the same unless a friends doing it
But boost kicks in alot sooner with the vtec on a big turbo.
Theres just so many things that come to play its not funny.

Thanks for the help everyone. Like I said, timing was conservative so more power was definitely available at this boost level. The I/C was tiny, so I know that wasn't helping things. We did hit 368 when we let it cool down and do another pull, but the A/F was a little off. That was 2-3 pulls before this one.

The lean spot @ 4k is only like 12.3:1, and I tuned it out a couple pulls later. ;)
What turbo and a/r?

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
the guy i know with the teg never swapped the head for a vtec one... and last i heard it put down 591 atw on a large turbo and third pass ran a 10.8somethin. that said, i see no big point in the vtec head swap lol maybe just some nice port work

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VTEC head flows gobs better out of the box is about the only difference. ;)

·
Registered
civic
1,481 Posts
the guy i know with the teg never swapped the head for a vtec one... and last i heard it put down 591 atw on a large turbo and third pass ran a 10.8somethin. that said, i see no big point in the vtec head swap lol maybe just some nice port work
591 should be low 10's, he needs some 24" slicks, not 22"

vtec deff makes more power on boost unless its a dedicated drag car then custom cam ftw on non vtec

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
def expecting more. but maybe he was right and had alto more to get out of it since the tune was not crazy. but my buddy got 337whp from a D with just rods and pistons with the stock 1.5 vtec head. never got to ride in it since it since the cylinder wall decided to blow up 2 hours after pickin it up from gettin tuned. and this was done on a t3/t4 at 25psi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts