Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOSAJ's build thread. Updated w/ engine build process pics

Well I've gone over 30k miles boosted on the stock engine (over 97k odometer)
one day I washed my car and engine bay, I put plastic bags over the intake and dizzy. I forgot about the bags and went to move the car, upon start up it died right off the bat due to no air.
So a collapsed air filter

that made my boost spike
which led to this

So after FedEx lost an engine that I scored off D.org
(SRP, Eagle, LSD dragger, ARP's, all assembled, unran, y7 block, ALL for $900 SHIPPED!!!)
(I'm still waiting for the refund, should be today! :evil: )

I decided to go w/ my original plan; the popular Vitara/I-beam combo

I bought a complete longblock off Craigslist for $300. It was a 98' Y8 w/ 36k, so he said, it looked like shit!
no pics of it

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ported and shimmed a new OEM oil pump.

(I'll do anybody else's if anybody wants)
I've done like four of these already and the first one is the only one that turned out bad
I knicked the matting surface. (it was the practice one anyway ;) )

I ported my GT28r wastegate because w/ a hi-flow cat the boost would creep

I don't know if this was a good idea because now the boost only goes up to 4psi on the stock settings and it makes a whirling/whining noise
That's my only main problem, besides the water lines to the turbo leaking a little.

More updates and pics of the engine build to come
(on a buddies camera because my wife ruined ours that day)

The engine started right up on the first try after priming the oil!

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
ouch, grats on the new build though!

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
The F'in machine shop took the longest

then he said I should've got forged pistons

fuck that old dude
I'll never recommend Performance Machine Shop in San Antonio
He said he had bigger $$ engines to work on than mine
I HATE machine shops like that, got their heads so far up their own asses. When you get done with the car take it back and challenge him to a race in your "ricer" with its "cheap block".

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
i got lucky with my machine shop, they had done a couple dozen vitara setups and the guy who did the work on my block was really interested in my build. cheap too!

lookin good NOSAJ. great job on the pump.

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good Jason, Glad to hear things are getting better. =)
MAD PROPS TO JOHN "EKboostedY" for the crazy hookup on a Link handheld tuning module, injectors, and S2 camgear!!
John is one of the nicest guys evar!
If anybody meets him in person buy him a beer for me!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Holy crap is that your girdle? You'll have to forgive the quesitons, but so that I do not do that, WTF happened??! Did your boost spike as the air filter collapsed, or it caused it to spike once the bags were removed? Good freaggin' grief that looks awful. Looking at that gives me flashbacks of when I blew the brains out of my 88 supra...May you rest in pieces Christine...

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy crap is that your girdle? You'll have to forgive the quesitons, but so that I do not do that, WTF happened??! Did your boost spike as the air filter collapsed, or it caused it to spike once the bags were removed? Good freaggin' grief that looks awful. Looking at that gives me flashbacks of when I blew the brains out of my 88 supra...May you rest in pieces Christine...
yeah that's the girdle; a hole in each side of the block and three holes in the oil pan

the filter was collapesed from starting it with the bags on it. then I removed the bags because it died and I imediately remembered the bags and removed them.
it was the next day on my way home from work that it was spikeing and it exploded

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well good luck with this one. I'll be interested to hear updates as to how the I beam vitara combo is running. I did a comp calculation for a y8 and those vitaras drop compression below 7.5:1...that should leave plenty of room for insane boost! Keep us updated!

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well good luck with this one. I'll be interested to hear updates as to how the I beam vitara combo is running. I did a comp calculation for a y8 and those vitaras drop compression below 7.5:1...that should leave plenty of room for insane boost! Keep us updated!
LoL, I think somebody else (FJT) did a calc of like 8.7 or 8.5? to one ;)

It is running very good, no complaints, very happy w/ the way the engine is running
except for
the whirling whining noise only when I get on it (sounds like a supercharger) I think it's the wastegate portjob I did ?idunno?
and
the boost is only building up to 4psi (that's either a boostleak or the wastegate job again ?)

I'll probably pull the turbo this weekend because I just realized my tags are expired and I'm going to wait till Dec

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
on a y8 with eagle rods, std length of 137mm rods, the cr will be 7.78:1 with vitaras.
If you use our custom length I beam rods then the cr goes up a full point up, 8.8:1

·
Registered
177 Posts
hmmm...I must have input something incorrectly...and I did NOT account for fjt's i beams. Either way, good luck!

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hoisted and goin in

sticked it in

FJ R Spec I/V money shot

pic of original damaged block and pistion

original crank

Is that still good?
I was just wondering if it's good enough to sell to somebody?
the journals look perfect. I'm just worried about the weight part, where it hit the internals after the rod gave. knife-edged cranks are just sanded down weights, right?. I've also seen cranks get sanded when they get balanced. If was to get balance before using, I think it is okay?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts