Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got around to installing my Walbro 255 yesterday. before i buttoned everything up, i cycled the key about 10 times to make sure the pump would prime and there was no leaking fuel. but when i went to start it, it fired up then died and i got a solid CEL. then the fuel pump would not prime at all. found the Alternator purge fuse blown, replaced it, car fired up yet again, then died with the same problem. i replaced the factory 10amp fuse with a 15amp, and havent had a problem since(although i only have 15 miles on it so far)

is this normal?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Although i've never heard of this before, a 15 amp fuse shouldnt hurt anything. It might just be drawing a little more amperage than your factory pump. :TU:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've heard the stock gauge wires get a little hot, so I wouldn't be surprised if the fuse isn't happy.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
My cousin had a similar problem, but his turned out to be loose wiring(although he said it was his ECU fuse that kept blowing).

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
I did not need a bigger fuse when I installed mine.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
make sure all your grounds are clean. any rust or corrosion can up the impedance. but going from a 10 to a 15 isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
i've installed a 255 in my crx. did not have to change the fuse. but i would agree a 15 prob isn't a problem. if there is a real problem like a short its't gonna blow what ever you got in there anyways. maybe weak connection somewhere?
[email protected]:noway:

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
i didnt have to replace my fuse but again, it was in a 99 ej so maybe they used thicker gauge wiring as compared to your dinosaur crx?

also i did write up on a current draw test

power=voltage x current

i dont know what wattage a 255lph pump consumes but if you know that and its supply voltage (13.5-14.4v) then you can calculate your expected current consumption and change fuses accordingly.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
put the 10 amp fuse back in, relay + hotwire = happy pumping
Any diy links for this? If not Ill make one. Mine Walbro is on the way!

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
also no pump variations with the turn signals......
lol mine does that lol it took me about 2 mins to wonder wtf mate why is my pump doing that

1 - 20 of 30 Posts