Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the normal operating temps for our motors? according to hondata mine stays a steady 206 to 208 once fully warmed up and being driven, my dash gauge stays around 1/4 of the way from the cool side. i just cant understand why if my thermostat is a 180 degree and i have a good radiator and water pump why it goes another 28 degrees. one therory i have is my turbo and manifold are close to the radiator and the turbo housing does radiate allot of heat. i would like to hear from other d owners who know what there turbo and even non turbo cars run at. the other thing i noticed is even driving at a steady 55 on a cold night it still stays a steady 206 to 208, and if i come to a stop and turn my fan on via hondata it still stays 206 to 208. i dont think this is a dangerous number to run at but i just wonder about it.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch back
156 Posts
I run high compression d16z6 and I notice the temp gauge gets up to the halfway point very quickly, like with in 10-15 mins....

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for trying guys but i want actual numbers since the computer and the dash use different sending units the dash reading is not very reliable.

·
Registered
honda civic
271 Posts
well i have a stock d16z6 and i don't know exactly the water temp but when fully warm the gauge seems to be a little under the middle
same with my ZC

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does any one have any exact numbers for me to compare to?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
my N/A d15b8 ran around 160-170 degrees...fully warm...(during the winter)..
now that I'm boosted...it runs 180 degrees fully warm (driving normal)..when I boost hard...it jumps to 200 degrees...I've had it up to 220 degrees..
my fan is powered by a toggle switch..so keeping it on keeps the temps around 180 degrees while lightly boosting around the city...

lol

...o yea...my factory temp gauge stays 1/4...(toward the cold side/bottom)
it takes the aftermarket temp gauge to go ...i think its 250-280 degrees before the factory gauge starts jumping up..

so I would say staying under 200 degrees would be good.
180 for everyday fully warm up...imo

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
This is a Hondata issue I believe, Chiovnidca/Blundar came across this I believe.

You should be at 180 with fan on, thermostat would be regulating the flow to the radiator.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I tried to contact them, but mean while i was wondering if its a sending unit, does the computer use a different sending unit then the dash? if so which one should i try and replace if its the sending unit.

·
Registered
95 civic
230 Posts
i know its old but, i just installed the mfactory water temp sensor, and once it warmed up it ran at 176 degrees with the fan on.i found this just checking the correct running temps.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
195-205 and my fan is on 24/7. Well, when the engine is running that is. I have it on a relay that turns on with ignition because the stock tiny wiring couldnt keep up with it and kept melting :p

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
what are the normal operating temps for our motors? according to hondata mine stays a steady 206 to 208 once fully warmed up and being driven, my dash gauge stays around 1/4 of the way from the cool side. i just cant understand why if my thermostat is a 180 degree and i have a good radiator and water pump why it goes another 28 degrees. one therory i have is my turbo and manifold are close to the radiator and the turbo housing does radiate allot of heat. i would like to hear from other d owners who know what there turbo and even non turbo cars run at. the other thing i noticed is even driving at a steady 55 on a cold night it still stays a steady 206 to 208, and if i come to a stop and turn my fan on via hondata it still stays 206 to 208. i dont think this is a dangerous number to run at but i just wonder about it.
hondata issue? I run hondata s300, no temp issues that I know of.

208 isn't dangerous hot but you're getting close, not much room for error. My high comp car rarely gets above 180.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I just install a stewart warner electronic water temp into my ej8 and the water temp is at 210-220 degree. When cruising I'm at 200 degree but if I come to a red light and sit there long enough it'll climb to 220 degree. Fan doesn't kick in until 220 degree. Than it'll start to go back down to 210 degree once the fan come on. Should I be concern?

Oh this is on stock oem radiator and fan with an ac compatiable turbo kit on.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just install a stewart warner electronic water temp into my ej8 and the water temp is at 210-220 degree. When cruising I'm at 200 degree but if I come to a red light and sit there long enough it'll climb to 220 degree. Fan doesn't kick in until 220 degree. Than it'll start to go back down to 210 degree once the fan come on. Should I be concern?

Oh this is on stock oem radiator and fan with an ac compatiable turbo kit on.
Sounds awfully hot to me. Aluminum can't handle heat like an iron block can. I'm not sure at what temp a head warps but would imagine it cant be much more than 250.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
what sender are you using?

where is it mounted?

the 20 degree swing between cruising and fan coming on is perfect, I'm betting a slight difference in opinion on the gauge and acctual temps (gauge reading high)

Also what is the weather conditions?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts