Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. Calling out the cavalry........................(Charge..........!!!!)

Big Problem(look at some of my older post's and you'll see what mods Ive done to the motor).

My d16y7-y8 has finally achieved rod knock. It started one night about 2 weeks ago. It continued on - quietly for about 4 days. Then, the day I took it to my shop to check it out, it got very loud.(after I first started hearing the noise, drove her softly, not passing 3rpm) After about 2-3/4 to 3rpm, you could hear that sh*t outside the car, echoing off of the surroundings n stuff(eyes swelling with tears):(. The guy at my shop started taking one spark plug wire off at a time - to isolate each firing cylinder, then mildly rev'd the motor. When they got to the #1 cylinder, they pulled out that spark plug wire, and rev'd. It stopped knocking. Put it back in - and rev'd & it started knocking(crying on the floor).

So, it's my #1 rod, piston, bearing, whatever(still crying on the floor). Unfortunately, I haven't torn the motor apart to see the condition of my crank, or the rest of the bottom end. There are no oil leaks, and the car uses oil as if my rings are still in good working condition.

I've been searching & pricing out a bugetly bottom end build for a few days now. I see a few rebuild kits that are very affordable. But I want to strengthen my rods without going crazy$$$(with other honda rods). What kind of rods would ya'll suggest I get - that doesn't require too much sizing and mic'ing for the pistons & bearings & whatnot. I still plan on light boost in the future, but I want to piece together a solid inexpensive bottom end that will easily(safely) handle about 200-250hp.

Any suggestions/tips/info on:
Bearings
Rods
Pistons
Cheap over bore
Oiling system

Thank you(Can't stop crying)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Tuner Toys Rods and Vitara Piston, I also read about people using the z6 oil pump.

·
Asshole
4,122 Posts
since the last car i've heard with rod knock = hole in the block
Not necessarily, rod knock doesnt guarantee a hole in the block, but it sure will need to be checked internally for cylinder damage. When I spun a rod on the Supra engine, it twisted a rod and took out some chunks of the lower cylinder wall, but didnt blow a hole in the block. The second time I spun a rod, it sure did though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, you don't like the wing or whatever. That's nice, really, thanks!!! I'll make sure I let "Uncle Ben's" know how you feel. Maybe he'll stop selling car products just for you. But I would like to know more about how the down force is applied to the crank of a newly built bottom end on a front wheel driven car.

Anyway, with the few motors, or bottom end's I see around town, I would still want to replace the bearings on them, for peace of mind. I'm having a hard time figuring out what rods to get, and who to get them from. If I can use stronger rods & pistons from another D or whatnot, and come out cheaper that buying brand new, who else is a good distributer I can check out?

I'll give TTRods a buzz.

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
when i spun my rod bearing, it fucked shit up
allthe metal shavings caused oiling issues, which distorted my main bores. so those had to be align-bored. $300 just for that, then another $300 for boring/honing/decking/checking square.

but theni knew my block was perfect..

i went with LS rods, and PDN pistons, since the LS rods are beefire but have a larger wristpin hole for the piston. PDN pistons are D-series pistons, but they have the matchign larger wristpin.. Had to get both the big and small ends of the rods machined to fit, they also redid the bearing surface because they were a lil outta spec. $300 for that, includign pressing the pistons on.

$40 for the rods, used, from here. $120 for pistons, brand newhonda. but i wouldnt do thsoe if you plan on boosting. i got them because with thier mild dome they bump up compresion nicely.

anyways, just my experience. looking back, id probably just buy a sohc zc from hmotors and call it a day..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yep.... I dont like the car either.... but we are here to help.... time for a rebuild my friend!
Mr. "GOD"(scratching head), I thinks its obvious that it's time for a rebuild. I feel you son, trust me, I'd steal your car right now, even if I didn' t like it. Since "Were all here to help", I want just a little info, from you - seriously(you have 5,153 posts & 7 rep power) - on your experience on block building, or what light you can shed, so that I can make a good search, learn, or bring back something valuable to d-series.org - or whatever. I know you are made up of more than just your opinions. Thanks "my friend", and everyone else!!!

Inh - I'll see where and what I can find about that rod setup.

I doubt that I have any major damage to my cylinder walls, but I guess I should have that biotch honed over a little. I think a machine shop I know - shouldn't kill me$$$ for that, esp if I find a little c/r/p set up to play with - just a little?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
pff you woman. you dont stop beating her if its knocking!!!

mine started knocking on a mountain pass. I just keept hammering on her and pushing to 6000+rpm!

BAM!

but now 590 bucks later JDM d15b goodness :). I say fuck the d16y and just get something better if its already starting to go.

JDM tasty! :)

just blow her up man its sad but also a good feeling lol. plus you get a SICK paper weight!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LMMFAO SJ, cant get off of the floor. Thanks, I needed that. True indeed, I used to surf the waves @ JDM motors for shits and grins. From the price range I see - as far as all this block work stuff, that is another route to consider also.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I went ebay, CNC motors got a JDM d15b shipped for $590 bucks. was suposed to be a longblock but they gave a full swap lol!

just blow the fucker and video tape it... its the one thing I regret not geting it on tape. was a POP!!klank klank! blender noise lol.

but the head turned out A-OK

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
it's cavalry, not calvary.. calvary is something to do with religion.

anywho, my suggestion would be to get a swap from HMotorsOnline, or whatever your choice for JDM motor broker may be..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.