Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well folks this is my first honda civic i have ever owned so i am looking for help . i am not looking to make earth shattering hp i just want to have a little fun with out spending to much money.

I have a d15b7 engine with over 200k miles on it , the car is in damn good condition and i paid only 400 $ i got it that cheap because it was my bosses old car , it had a blown head gasket, ive replaced the head gasket a good while back along with a valve adjustment and its been running strong ever since ..

I only want to push 5 lbs of boost , i dont think i would have to change anything else .. i am alittle scared because i see you guys talking about tuning .. how would i tune my car ? what will i have to change on the ecu ?
i dont think i would have to change any enjectors right ?

Please help " thanks "

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
Welcome.
And yeah your pushing over 200,000 miles first thing your going to want to do is a leakdown/comp test on your engine to see how good it really is. Then go from there.

If its in bad shape a rebuild would be good (personally would use a better block) if not then running 5-7lbs on a stock B7 is fine.
Regaurdless you'll need to tune and that alone is not cheap if you want it done right.

Personally cheap and fast usually is'nt to relaible. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say Properly tuned , what do you mean ? Air/ fuel mixture ? What is most critical when it comes to tuning in my situation ?

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
When you say Properly tuned , what do you mean ? Air/ fuel mixture ? What is most critical when it comes to tuning in my situation ?
Yes, that and Timing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
General rule of thumb, at least with what I am used to, power is easy to make. Get afr dialed, add timing within safe range till it doesn't make any more power, and say there is 2 HP difference with (ls1 example) between 23* and 25* timing, well run it safe at 23*. Remember to run good fuel and don't push it, and your good. Now with HOW to tune the Honda computer.....that is something I don't know either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, street tuning and drivability tuning takes a lot more then just power tuning. If you have a good tune in your area, talk to them about what pc you might need and what all they can do for you.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
noob reliability; tune on 89 or 91, run one step higher octane that is available in your area

D15b7 will react very well with a small turbo say from an audi/volks 1.8. its a K03 or K04 turbo depending on model and year. fast spooling, no harsh lag, then sudden burst of pressure.

Highly recommend seeking out the guy on ebay that sells $200 rods for d15b7. OEM rods that were inspected and were relieved of some surface tension for added durability. they come with ARPs and the crank end machined true circle

combine with fresh rings, or an overbore on new pistons, and ytou have a stronger d15b7

course money spent could grab you a d16a6 that has less then 150k miles in good condition and better reaction to boost

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
psi is an arbitrary number.....it means nothing..... for your d15b7 (assuming the leak down and comp. test come out ok) can take 220whp before it starts spitting rods...200whp keeps it a bit more reliable and 180whp is taking it nice and safe...all assuming its proffesionally tuned, as per your questions you ask..i dont think you have the knowledge needed to tune it yourself

psi won't break things, whp/torque will

think about it this way.....15 psi from a t25 off a dsm and 15 psi from a 6262....which do you think will make more power?

check out my old d15b7 build....it may answer some questions....also do a bit more searching....good luck
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/107827-95-civic-cx-hatch-project-d15b7.html

·
Registered
610 Posts
Don't go with a ko3/o4. They have a unique flange which makes switching to a different turbo later more expensive. Look for a small MHI or Garrett. Volvo and Saab used them. You should be able to find them for pretty cheap in decent condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts