Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the new forum. I have a 98 civic ex 1.6 vtec. I want to boost it. I used to be in the car game but with mustangs. I need help and I'm starting to understand Honda talk. But i know Nothing about my d16? What's the best setup for me? This is my commuter car I travel 90 miles a day has to get good mpg and 100% reliable. Listen I'm not looking to get 300 horses and smoke sti's. I just need a little something. What do you guys think in detail thanks. I have 190k on the clock.

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
need to set goals before any guidance be gaven and do your self a favor here and do some resreach before post questions. and welcome to the DSO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First post on the new forum. I have a 98 civic ex 1.6 vtec. I want to boost it. I used to be in the car game but with mustangs. I need help and I'm starting to understand Honda talk. But i know Nothing about my d16? What's the best setup for me? This is my commuter car I travel 90 miles a day has to get good mpg and 100% reliable. Listen I'm not looking to get 300 horses and smoke sti's. I just need a little something. What do you guys think in detail thanks. I have 190k on the clock.
100% reliable whit aftermarket turbo setup is not possible need b serie swap for oem reliability
or buy this GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits
and save another 1-2k for clutch/exhaust/tune/WB/BG/injector ect ...

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There is a wealth of good information on this forum, read around, use the search feature, and you will learn a lot about how much your engine will make, take, and how to do it right.

Ill get you started with the basics:

1) Your car is OBD-II, so in order to tune, you will need to find an OBD-I VTEC ECU, have it chipped, and get a conversion harness. Then you just have to get it tuned.
This will cost a few hundred bucks but the result is an ECU more capable than a lot of standalones.

2) You will need bigger injectors for any find of boost.

3) You will need a different MAP sensor if you want to run over 11 psi of boost.

4) Your civic should have a D16Y8 in it, an engine that performs well, but is notorious for oiling issues. This means that in order to be reliable, you will need to keep the revs down, Id suggest keeping the rev limiter at stock. Even with this precaution, expect it could spin a bearing at any point. It would be a wise investment to find a good D16Z6 longblock or short block as a backup. The other option is to modify your oil pump to increase flow (and pressure too if youre inclined to do so). there is a lot of information on this if you search.

Do a bunch of reading, and when your eyes start to bleed, read some more. Then when you still have questions, come and ask and someone will help you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
if you drive 90 miles a day leave it stock.

no way around it, a turbo kit WILL give you headaches

if you want a little go fast then get an intake, header, exhaust.

after that get a cam and a tune.

still not enough? 50 shot of nitrous.

you should be a little shy of 200 hp and still be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
93 Camaro (backup)
491 Posts
100% reliable whit aftermarket turbo setup is not possible need b serie swap for oem reliability ...
if you drive 90 miles a day leave it stock.

no way around it, a turbo kit WILL give you headaches

if you want a little go fast then get an intake, header, exhaust.

after that get a cam and a tune.

still not enough? 50 shot of nitrous.

you should be a little shy of 200 hp and still be pretty reliable.
IMO if you do it right the first time and use quality parts a stock block D16 on low boost can be plenty reliable with a good tune. Don't be scared OP, go for it and learn along the way.

·
Registered
99 accord ex/ 98 ek
238 Posts
whats the hurry for power if you dont even know/understand D series.. i will personally sugestto learn a little be more while you can put together a turbo set up..
you might know mustands but like you said your just learning about hondas.
you can get 200whp with stock internals but i/e/h and a cam will be the best for you if you have to drive 90 miles every day

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
You all do know that he doesn't need to be driving in boost all 90 miles, right? I'm sure you all do, but my rhetoric is an attempt to show the OP that having a turbocharger doesn't me things are going to blow up no matter what. Also, no car is 100% reliable, even stock as stock, fresh off the line cars.

In my opinion, especially since you're coming from the mustang scene, an intake, header and exhaust will probably not feel fast enough. I know it didn't for me. I never had my car dyno-ed before and after the i/h/e but people say that you'd be lucky to pick up 20whp with those. Going from about 100whp to 120whp will still leave you wanting a lotttt more.

I wanted a lot more, so I used nitrous. I went from a 55 shot up to a 75 shot. I had issues with losing oil and it became a pain to keep filling the bottle so I stopped and started my turbo build.

Right now my car makes 211whp and 167wtq on a stock engine. I have been boosted for 3 months and 6000 miles without any issues.

Listen to what Full_Tilt said. Y8's are notorious for spinning bearings, but if your engine is healthy, has good oil pressure, you don't rev above 7200, and you give it fresh oil, I don't think you'll have too many issues.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Be warry. Even i/h/e will play slight games with your cars efficiency....depending on the climate and other conditions where you live. I would get a tune to see any gains, even with bolt ons. The stock ecu's on or vehichles suck at responding to bolt ons.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Most people are trolling you because you didnt look around before posting.Also you dont have a goal of power in mind.
With that said. Do some homework on what want then post back.

90miles is easy done, you wont be in boost the whole trip. I drive about 50-60miles aday and dont crack boost on a small t25.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all I want to thank everybody for taking the time and responding to my post. I know how to make horse power but I'm to damn cheap! I don't beat on my civic I take very good care of her. I get 30 mpg average.. I just want some passing power. I was going to do bolt ons but I wouldn't be happy.I came to two options . 1st do a b16 swap With t3 no cooler. 2nd built my d16 with forged internals to handle up to 13 psi safe . I'm only looking to get 8psi?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
I know how to make horse power but I'm to damn cheap!
Think of the civic as the Mustang of the Import world. Cheap to build (for moderate power) and fun to drive. I'm sure you'll do fine, man. Like everyone said just collect and organize all your thoughts and goals and go from there.

Does anyone else agree that a Greddy kit would suit him pretty well? Takes out a lot of the guess work and is proven.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
I would go with Go-autoworks' street kit. I know he would still need to buy an ecu, injectors, and fuel pump but its $1500 less than the Greddy kit last time I checked. And Go-Autoworks is a site sponsor and has great customer service.

Also, OP, psi means nothing. 10 psi from a small turbo is different than 10psi from a huge turbo. Horsepower is a better metric. Your engine should be fine up until 225whp.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Start small

grab a conversion harness and a chipped P28 ecu

focus on getting it to run correctly, and dial in AFR's. OBD2 motors are sometimes a handful on OBD1 tuning

once running correctly, enjoy better cruising gasmileage from a tunable setup while saving for a turbo kit.

You will easily spend over 2500 bucks if you go with new parts

you can start with a fuel pump and injectors, as your chipped ecu will allow you to retune and use them on the stock setup.

then you can start putting together a kit!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Start small

grab a conversion harness and a chipped P28 ecu

focus on getting it to run correctly, and dial in AFR's. OBD2 motors are sometimes a handful on OBD1 tuning

once running correctly, enjoy better cruising gasmileage from a tunable setup while saving for a turbo kit.

You will easily spend over 2500 bucks if you go with new parts

you can start with a fuel pump and injectors, as your chipped ecu will allow you to retune and use them on the stock setup.

then you can start putting together a kit!

This, and only this!

·
Registered
88 Sedan
87 Posts
Hello there, i am also new to the Honda game and came from v8 background. I turbo'd my civic very soon upon getting it running, and had a lot of headaches from noises, rattling, and generally cheaping out. Here is a picture of my wastegate where it shouldnt be.

Read and save for quality parts. This cheap stuff lasted me a couple 1000 miles, but I am pulling it off until i can afford better quality fit.
uploadfromtaptalk1337530285929.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Hello there, i am also new to the Honda game and came from v8 background. I turbo'd my civic very soon upon getting it running, and had a lot of headaches from noises, rattling, and generally cheaping out. Here is a picture of my wastegate where it shouldnt be.

Read and save for quality parts. This cheap stuff lasted me a couple 1000 miles, but I am pulling it off until i can afford better quality fit.
View attachment 31341

Your build looks jack up.
But good example. Dont buy parts till you know how they work and how r made.

·
Registered
88 Sedan
87 Posts
Thank you xile. Not sure what all you think is jacked up, radiator and cheap manifold is all i can think of. But i thought it would help if s/he saw what could happen and i accept your remark to try and better myself. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts