Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here.
I have a couple questions about turbo kits. I have a 96 EX coupe that is completely stock at the moment. I'm looking into boosting it and would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on some turbo kits. Greddy, Edelbrock? This car is a Daily Driver and not looking for rip my pants off power. Maybe 170 or 180 or so. Something reliable and fairly easy to bolt up.

Thanks for you time!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Autoworks tuner kit

IMO kits aren't economical but if you do get one then support a site sponsor and buy from Autoworks; you won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
IMO kits aren't economical but if you do get one then support a site sponsor and buy from Autoworks; you won't be disapointed.
shut up your ghey! :TD:

j/k, i agreed with mindless. the kits on the market will get you to your goal, but leave you wanting on the actual "performance" side of it. even thought you will hit your number, it will not be as nice of a power band. imho, a kit built to give you a nice smooth powerband with higher quality parts and more "tunability" will lead to a much better result.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
for those numbers hes looking for a nice Junkyard home made turbo kit is best. 170whp aint crap to get on boost with small turbo. fuck paying $2000 for a new turbo kit for super low boost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
IMO it all depends on how deep your pocket is if you have money to play then go with the best if not check ebay you can get a nice cast iron manifold turbo kit for under 600.00 and it comes with everything. FMIC and all

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I guess it depends on what "economical" is in the eyes of the purchaser. The Tuner kit IMO is extremely econmical, and flexible. It's reliable, uses all top quality components/ easy to bolt up and will acceed the power level he's looking for.

I'm not even going to get into the ebay "dead horse" thing...

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
best/cheapest bolt on kit for such a small power goal would be the Greddy kit
I agree, the cheapest decent "in a box" bolt on kit is Going to be a Greddy 15G kit. It lacks the FMIC, BOV and lower charge pipes, but you could add that and still be under the 2k mark. It may be right up your alley if your desired power #s stay where they are now.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
smh. i love my $1000 parted together turbo kit.. better than any of those kits IMO. justl ike mindless said. fuck a kit. part it together. so much cheaper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smh. i love my $1000 parted together turbo kit.. better than any of those kits IMO. justl ike mindless said. fuck a kit. part it together. so much cheaper.
What are you running at how many psi?

A lot of posts happened while i was sleeping (Hawaii). Haha.

See, here's the deal. I want to go boost as much as possible, while trying not to do anything internal and keep it reliable as this is my daily driver. Many told me to piece a kit together as it is cheaper and better. But what hp amount is safe enough on stock internals?

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I agree, the cheapest decent "in a box" bolt on kit is Going to be a Greddy 15G kit. It lacks the FMIC, BOV and lower charge pipes, but you could add that and still be under the 2k mark. It may be right up your alley if your desired power #s stay where they are now.
thats what I got, I will be selling it soon when I upgrade to some parts from autoworks :TU:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What are you running at how many psi?

A lot of posts happened while i was sleeping (Hawaii). Haha.

See, here's the deal. I want to go boost as much as possible, while trying not to do anything internal and keep it reliable as this is my daily driver. Many told me to piece a kit together as it is cheaper and better. But what hp amount is safe enough on stock internals?
right now imrunning 14.5 psi on street tune. Dyno end of Jan. t3/t04e 57 trim. I ran this much PSI also on stock engine stock internals. just fuelmods and crome. i ran 11-15psi all street tuned again...and that was on stock map which reads to 11psi... It lasted over a year and i was wide open everyday all day. it blew a hole in #3 piston..but engine never stoped running. and my af were in the 12s and some 13. not as rich as id like all time. Dyno will make upfor that tho. But if you want to keep it stock internals and last...i wouldnt go over 200-220whp....depending on the miles you already have. I know you can make 250whp and be safe to...but i is ee alot more DD turbo civics in the 200-220whp range.

·
Registered
309 Posts
if its the kit i think your talking about, autoworks did an install with that kit. its junk also, just like the ssauto stuff.
IMO the FMIC and pipes are good also the cast iron manifold will NOT crack like the SSAC mine is a well put together kit i got diffrent parts from Ebay and its running good and making good power i probably spend under 600.00 in everything and for what he wants it he is better off putting it together himself. if he had plans on building the engine then yeah spend the $ and doit right. my engine is fully build and i still put mine together and its being 2 yrs and running strong.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
IMO the FMIC and pipes are good also the cast iron manifold will NOT crack like the SSAC mine is a well put together kit i got diffrent parts from Ebay and its running good and making good power i probably spend under 600.00 in everything and for what he wants it he is better off putting it together himself. if he had plans on building the engine then yeah spend the $ and doit right. my engine is fully build and i still put mine together and its being 2 yrs and running strong.
i was refering to this "kit" in particular. don't know if it was the same one you were refering to or not.

Autoworks Review of "JDMSports" turbo kit

btw: i also have a cast iron ebay manifold.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts