Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first rebuild on a d16y8
yanked the motor out took out tranny etc. to the bare block.
looking at cylinder walls do i need to rehone my cylinders.
they still have some of the fatory cross hatch patern

let me know what im dealing with..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
do you already have the pistons? if not have the block checked to see if you can run std 75mm bore. if you can dont hone or anything until your pistons arrive so they can measure for each. same goes if you need over size. done bore/hone until you have the piston to measure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
are you putting it back together stock or you looking for some extra umph? either way you have it down this far might as well get it at least honed with whatever pistons you use. you don't want to hone it put it together then have it smoke like a sob then try to figure out why

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
are you putting it back together stock or you looking for some extra umph? either way you have it down this far might as well get it at least honed with whatever pistons you use. you don't want to hone it put it together then have it smoke like a sob then try to figure out why
the title says "vitara" unless hes looking to make it slower, id say hes tryin to get some uhmp outa boost. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i basically yanked out the motor, took everything apart and decided to start a vitara build. if i bring the block to a machine shop to be honed what else should i bring so i can have hot tanked. I still have the head in one piece

and also, are eagle rods worth the money? I've heard of tuner toys but dunno where to get them.

are oem bearings better than after market? im going to use the oem headgasket and might as well buy other oem parts while im at it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
acl bearings work fine, its what I use. you need to decide if you are going over bore vitaras, if so, order them, take the block and pistons with you to machine shop, and rods if you get them to notch the block. or, if you want to stay std 75mm, take block to machine shop, let them measure to see if you even can. either way, dont bore/hone until you have the pistons!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i worked for an engine build for a few months. DO NOT HONE. DO NOT BORE, until you have the pistons you want for the build. when those arrive, head to your engine builder and let them figure it out. like said up top, last thing you want is your motor huffing and puffing smoke and not knowing why.

acl bearing are ok. we've used them on 700hp motors. no prob.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
dont think mine were the race bearing. just acl duraglide or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts