Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellow d-series peoples,
well ive got a total of three of the same motors now just picked another one up today. d15b2. and yes im aware everyone has there own opions about these motors and ive done alot of research in the past week or so and i would like to stick with it just because #1 its been very reliable to me ( have had rod knock in this motor for the past 11 months along with beating the hell out it still runs and starts everytime just blows more smoke than a built diesel lol.

anyway im planning on boosting my 89 wagovan its the dual point motor. ive read in multiple places that 5-8 pounds is safe to run with stock internals injectors ect. thats just slapping on the kit someone said they were still running on the rich side running spiking 6 pounds daily ( cant believe everything you read)

now keep in mind i have spare motors (that i have no worries about them running and it doesnt take to long to swap them )
im honestly only looking to run 5-6 pounds just something with a little pep and im not looking to spend much (right now) just trying to figure out if its what i want. down the road i may switch to a z6 head but for now im staying the way it is im just gonna go for a ebay kit for now and if later i do finally decide i would like to switch to a z6 and make more boost then i will buy better turbo injectors manifold ect. then atleast the ebay kit isnt a complete lost cause i will have piping intercooler . i know ebay kits are far from the best but like i said right now its trial and error to see if its what i want.

now my questions are.
i like to be a little on the safe side and tend to beat on my cars on my way to work in traffic and shut them off right after so i was told to get a turbo timer. i like wiring and its not new to me but ignition wiring is however new to me i havent researched how to hook one up yet so i wont ask for a writeup on it just wondering if its completely nessacerry im assuming so but its only 5 pounds of boost so im not 100% sure?

now i have researched this and found nothing one guy said there was a full writeup but he hasnt been online in 7 montsh so thats a dead end. is there a diy out there of how to install the full ebay turbo kit on a d15b2? im not car stupid and know how to use tools just havent really worked on installing turbos and havent been around boost except for my 03 mini cooper s and that was supercharged upgrade pulley easy. but since turbos are new to me not so easy lol

now for those who arent familiar with the wagovans all it is is an ef hatchback with 4 doors or a 4 door ef with a hatch however you want to look at it my body code is an ef5 and ur most common built hatches out there are the ef9 i believe either way i believe the entire front end is the same. so the question here is do i have to order the kit for an ef5 so all the piping for intercooler and stuff like that fits or if the 92 -95piping fits because from what ive seen the motor bays and piping entrances seem to be about the same (correct me if im wrong)

last question for now is what about taping into the oil pan for the oil line ? im hoping the write up that someone can majiclly find will help cover most of this so that i dont feel like im wasting ur guys time.

the reason i ask for this guide to be able to follow is beacuse its usually only my brother and i that work on my car. im not one of those people that can hand my keys to some one and say hey install this turbo kit for me and expect that they did everything 100% correct. im sure plenty of people on here feel the same way. then atleast if i mess something up i can follow MY OWN steps and figure out what went wrong instead of paying someone to tell me. plus i dont mind gettin my hands dirty :joint:

thanks alot in advance i plan on starting the build in about amonth or so and all info is very much appreciated thanks

also I REALIZE ebay turbo kits lower than the bottom line but i have already stated i know this and its just to see if boost is the way i want to go, its like beer you never know till u try it. So please dont bash if it is what i want i will be buying the good stuff and will have a build thread to make haters happy after all they make the world go round.

Thanks!:fingersx:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You will want to fix the crank and rod before boosting it like that.

it's better just to convert to pgmfi with a socketed tunable obd0 ecu and run turbo edit tuned by a decent tuner.

If you buy the parts off ebay you want off ebay separately you can find them for the same price or less than in a kit and not be forced to get items you are not going to use or don't want.

The timers are not terrible to hook up

Our engines tend to run the pan dry you'll be like wtf, the oil level wasn't low.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
goddam tldr

running 6 pounds on an ebay turbo (typically pretty small trim) should be alright.

installation is pretty straight forward.

just know now that you will have to have some ingenuity and solve some issues with an ebay kit.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Best off getting a chipped ecu and some dsm injectors. Do it right the first time you know.
The kit install is pretty easy. Your main problem will be piping. I dont know of many kits that have pipinh for your body.
Oil feed via sandwhich plate. Drain drill a hole and put a brab fitting or an flare. Check the 5th pg of my build theard to srr install of my drain.

Turbo time not need but lets the turbo an oil in it cool down. Wiring is easy. Mines is set up so I can arm my alarm while its running but onces it turns off u cant start it without a combination.

5-6 psi would be good but its better to find an hp goal. Because 5psi on a t25 isnt much but 5psi on an t4 is alot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like this forum much better than most .. people here actually give good repsonces instead of telling me to go pound sand lol.

i had planned on gettin a tune for sure i believe that the place near me runs on neptune and hondata? im not postive on that. but yea i had def planned on that

im most like going to do a turbo timer setup to be on the safe side but im going to have to fix my ebrake first lol snapped it last year playin in the snow.

my front end is just like an ef so im hoping i could buy the piping for that. i had already assumed the ebay kit would have needed some adjustments lol

i planned one putting one of the frest motors in before running boost. rod knock and boost egauls BOOM lol

im planning on do an upgraded clutch. any suggestions? also do they make a heavy duty clutch cable that wornt stretch ? i had to replace the cable in my nissan once every six months because of the 6 puck . i really rather not have that painful process ever six months again haha

thanks alot guys

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just so you're aware, the front end of a wagon is not the same as the EF hatch. The only thing that is the same is the headlights and the bumpers actually. Corner lights, hood, fenders are NOT interchangeable. There is considerably less room in the wagon engine bay vs. the hatch engine bay.

Either way it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and you're smart enough to research. I'd say just do the turbo timer now and then its done. Super easy install, wiring is a sinch, and its one more of those safety things for your motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts