Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I got a 88 crx the I bought with a zc dohc. It recently overheated. The person driving just kept driving till it turned off. So I pulled the top of the motor. Had the head milled .010. Decided to pull the block out and glad I did. 1 main bearing was no good. But there are cracksinside the bottom of the block. Not visable from the top of the motor.

So to make a long story short..what other blocks can I use. There is a guy near me with a d15b block and crank. Will my zc head, header, ect all fit on the d15b? I have searched the web a lot and have not found a definite answer. This is the first honda ive worked on. Thanks.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I believe youd want a d16a6 block to match your ZC dohc.

D15b block could work, but I dont think it would be "easiest"

And I believe the head bolt patterns are off, because thats a DOHC D series.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,880 Posts
A dohc dseries block will NOT bolt up to anything but a dohc dseries block. If your car is an si a d16a6 sohc would have came in the car. You can go back to sohc very simply or you need a dohc block or get your block fixed. Best bet is to take pics and we will tell you if its fixible or junk. It may be a casting flaw and the blocks fine or you may have cracked a sleve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow really. Thats great. They sure look like cracks to me. Ill drop it off at the machine shop to get cleaned and then put it back together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I should probably search for this but im at work. What are the main and rod bearing sizes std. And the bore size. Im taking the block in to get cleaned and checked out tomorrow

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I know I should probably search for this but im at work. What are the main and rod bearing sizes std. And the bore size. Im taking the block in to get cleaned and checked out tomorrow
It wont matter, let your machine shop tell you what size to put in, that IS what your paying them for correct?

Also as mention those "cracks" are casting lines, totally ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link. As of now im just waiting to get the block and crank back for the machine shop. Had to turn the crank and do an align bore on the main journals. They mic the block and said it crosses over to a d16y5?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thinking about doing a turbo on this zc. But a little further diwn the road. If I install dish pistons to lower the compression to say 8to1 or 8.5to1, will the car run ok with the lower compression till I turbo it. Since this has turned into a complete build im just planning for the future now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd say keep the same domed pistons (p29s) or some flat tops,(pg6,a6??) some 86-87 integra rods, with a MLS head gasket,mill the head and block add a small turbo with a nice tubular header 2.5" exhaust and have fun.

my .02

·
Registered
431 Posts
you could bolt 86-89 dohc on EW
I wouldn't use the d16a1 block in the ef chassis, its a different animal and would require much fabrication.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts