Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know this has got to be a noob question but how do you take out just the block? i dont want to take the tranny out. all the books that i have (no helms :-( ) says you have to take everything out. i took out 5 bolts that connect the tranny to the block. i know i must be missing something.

engine is a d16y8 manual. head, pistons/rods, oil pan are all removed. so im just trying to take the crankshaft, block out.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1998 Acura Integra
736 Posts
It is much, much, much easier to take it out complete with the tranny. Actually installation is much, much, much, much easier with it out rather than trying to angle the engine back onto the tranny with the tranny still installed. If you are doing all that work you should just take the tranny out, it will take alot less time, plus reassembling it and installing it will be alot easier.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inspector01 said:
It is much, much, much easier to take it out complete with the tranny. Actually installation is much, much, much, much easier with it out rather than trying to angle the engine back onto the tranny with the tranny still installed. If you are doing all that work you should just take the tranny out, it will take alot less time, plus reassembling it and installing it will be alot easier.
damn its that hard?

·
Registered
1998 Acura Integra
736 Posts
it is a bitch because you have to hold the tranny as high up as you can when reassembling it, and then get the motor angled far to slide in sideways into the tranny housing, and then getting the motor to slide down without hitting the crank pulley, it just doesn't fit very well. It is possible, but definately not worth the effort in my oppinion. Removing the tranny is only like 10 extra bolts to get on side CV shaft out and then you can pull the whole set up easily.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
inspector01 said:
he's totally right. it's gonna take less stress as well...

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
you have to remove one of the starter bolts that go through the tranny and into the block thats your 6th and last bolt holding them together.

i always just pull the block and leave the tranny i have a method of re-installing the block onto the tranny so now it's not such a bitch, like stated above, but it was a huge bitch my first time doing it. just gotta get a little creative.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
ya dude i totally agree its a bitch trying to do what you want to. much easier just to take everything out

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice guys!! it really helped me out. i worked on it tonight and i got most of the stuff off exciept for one axle. its freaking stuck!! oh well i hope i can get it all of it out tomorrow. i need to get this bitch back on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts