Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have started my next build, it is a jdm single slam non vtec zc. I was just wonering is it possible to make the same amount of power in a non vtec as you can with vtec? I am debating wether or not to get a z6 head, I really want to stay non but if it will make more power i will have to buy a z6 or y8 head. Oh ya im not going budget here, im talkin everything except sleeves. The nastiest cam, valve springs, retainers, forged je pistons, eagle rods, balanced crank, basically everything i can do and i was just wondering fully built vs. fully built will a z6 or y8 head make more power than a A6 head? Oh and i am also having the head fully ported and polished and oversized valves as well. Just let me know what you guys think thanx

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
vtec on SOHC is dumb and worthless, with all that work you say you are having done it wont make a difference in the end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard both ways thats why i posted on here cuz this is d-series.org so i figured i would make my decision off what people on here advise me to do.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
v-tec heads flow better then a non v-tec head and if its for a race application wireing up v-tec is just one more thing that can go wrong. it all depends on how you feel i like my v-tec

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have heard both ways thats why i posted on here cuz this is d-series.org so i figured i would make my decision off what people on here advise me to do.
you are going to hear both ways on here too. like 99EJ6T said this topic comes up every week and is debated every week search and youll see. the more a question is asked the less repsonse it gets everytime.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
vtec is over rated...

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
v-tec heads flow better then a non v-tec head and if its for a race application wireing up v-tec is just one more thing that can go wrong. it all depends on how you feel i like my v-tec

wow you were misinformed do you even no what vtec is for lol. in a sohc its worthless other than good fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yes vtec is over rated but thats no what he ask he ask bout power wise
i have a non vtec setup n i think is great v-ect dont really make a diff
i think in makes a diference in dual cam if u do all that work n put all them goodies wont matter if u have vtack on it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Simple answer guys.......someone show some CFM #s for vtec and non-vtec heads. Do you have that, or are you just guessing?

VTEC can serve a purpose by allowing good vacuum, idle quality and economy while having large intake lobes for higher RPM. All of these things would be desirable in a daily driver.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
everyone in here is saying non vtec but all the big hp sohc builds are vtec.. might just be a coincidence... but ill stick with my vtec, were already building tiny ass economy underdog motors... i dont need to keep going lower down the foodchain to prove something

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
everyone in here is saying non vtec but all the big hp sohc builds are vtec.. might just be a coincidence... but ill stick with my vtec, were already building tiny ass economy underdog motors... i dont need to keep going lower down the foodchain to prove something

a sohc is sohc all it took was one guy that built a high hp z6 or y8 and the bandwagon followed . i can guaranty you can do the exact same thing with a non vtec sohc.

then again most people stick with what they get out of the box and only a few swap to maybe a z6 or y8. kinda like if you have a 92-95 civic si or ex you might as well stay vtec since well you have it plus the z6 is the best sohc vtec. or the same for the 96-00 civic guys with the y8 no sense in changing. the majority of boosted sohc guys started with the 92-00 civic which well have vtec engine which started the trend for anyone else non vtec. its like when your a kid and you see someone else having more fun with a supposed better toy then you. then you start realizing hey i want the same thing. so in turn you follow it.

but then again its all about preference in the end people will go for what everyone else is doing which right now is pure boosted z6 and y8 or mini combo's. its better the us non vtec guys lol.

the point i guess is either platform is great

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I see the benefits of V-tec, might be just jealousy on my part with my stock engine (basically). but once you start adding big horsepower and F/I the hassle of tuning the Vtec is understandable. once you start making boost, tuning the crossover to vtec and doing it in a smooth curve is just another thing to go be bothered with. So i can see both sides, so yet again i have an indecisive opinion...

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
If you have a VTEC engine, use it. If you don't, no big deal.

The difference in flow between a non-vtec and a vtec head is negligible. You can make an A6/B2/B7 head outperform a VTEC head anyway.

If you're going to boost it, I'd stick with your non-vtec setup. It won't hold you back, and tuning will be a bit easier.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome thanx for all the input i am just gonna stick with the non-vtec head cuz it seems like there is a lot more people that are for them, and i also agree that it is much easier to tune non vtec. And i have seen some high hp out puts from non vtec single cams as well and vtec single cams so that why i wanted every opinion i could get. thanx for all the feedback guys

1 - 20 of 78 Posts