Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up all, I got a few questions regarding a mini-me swap on a Y7 block. This will be my first mod on a Honda engine (I did a lot of tuning on old school VDubs, Honda killers at the least), so I'd like to know what I would need to get this swap done right.
After reading a number of threads on here, and other sites, I've noticed that there’s a few things I would need for a complete swap. This includes:

- Vtec Head (gaskets, valve train, cover, Vtec solenoid, distributor, etc.)
- Intake Manifold (throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, etc.)
- ECU
- Timing Belt

These are the things that I’ve found most noticeably required for any mini-me swap. I don’t know if anything else is required for the proper swap, but here is what I am planning on going with:

- Y8 head (with p&p, valve job including retainers, springs, milling to .010 for extra compression, etc.)
- Y8 dual layer head gasket for added compression
- Stage 2 cam, cam gear, Y8 timing belt
- Y8 intake manifold port matched to head, and aftermarket throttle body
- Plan on sticking with the stock ex. Header, due to noise volume across the car
- P2T ECU (I don’t know the compatibility issues for this on a d series engine, give me some incite on this please).

I have all these things in mind, but am open to suggestions on what would be a better setup for a N/A setup. I don’t want to go turbo just yet, since this will be the first Honda engine modification I’ve done.
After reading a few posts, I’ve come to light on the OBD1&2 conversions. I don’t want to convert from OBD2 since my car is a ’97 civic dx, and in doing that, smog wouldn’t pass here in CA. So, I chose the P2T ECU for this setup, but I am not sure if that ECU will be compatible for my setup (it is an OBD2 computer as well). What other options can I look into since I want to keep the ECU wiring compliant with CA standards?
Any of you tuners out there have any suggestions on the parts setup I am going with please feel free to add anything in there that I might be missing, or a modification that can make performance better in the long run. Thanks for reading. Take it easy all, keep tuning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinkin about stickin with the stock manifold, but i looked into the DC 4-2-1 headers, and the Megan Racing header. now when i get this aftermarket ex. mani, would i have to get the one for that particular y8 head (97 ex civic coupe) or jusdt get the one the manufacturer recommends... :beer:

D

·
0 Posts
It was hard to give up the horizontally opposed 4cyl I bet. Was for me, but now I love my honda too. I would suggest ARP headstuds for sure. If you go stage 2 on the cam you'll need to upgrade the valve train, think that's what you meant. On the ecu I would suggest obd1's P28 and a conversion harness. If you don't already have the head purchased think about a z6, better flow. If you stick with the stock header take it to a machine shop and find out what they'll charge for matching the ports and takin' down restrictions. A local place here will do it for like $60.00, pretty low price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
can you guys get awat with obd conversions in cali? i never really thought about the port matching on the header..good idea.

D

·
0 Posts
we did the header thing to my buddies '02si with a typeS header and it made major differences. I don't think about smog much.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
To pass smog, you will likely need either a P2P (Civic EX) or an OBD2 P28 (96-97 Del Sol SI) - I run an OBD2 P28 and I have no codes and pass the OBD port scan. The difference is the P28 does not look for the fuel tank sending unit - which your car likely does not have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH YEA, it was tough lettin the side pistons and dual carbs go. My volks was a total beater to the untrained eye, but once the pedal was floored against a b18c5 civic hatch, I'd school that kid. Now I have to do the same with this car, it's kinda like downsizing for a change. Oh well.

About the head, there is a place here in San Diego that has a JDM y8 head for sale. I looked at the valve train, and it does not look anything like the head from a USDM head. I don't know the identification number, but i'll check it out. Their going price is 75 bucks, but I'm gonna see what the deal is with that.

I was thinkin bout the y8 head, because it offers alittle more compression to the cylinders, and that head should bump up my c/r to about 10.95 with a .01 milling of the head. What would the z6 head offer over the y8, because I'm not too sure on the differences (cc's, valve lash, etc.), and how would it be a better swap than a newer head?

As for the stage two and improved valve train, I am definately gonna get some money put into the top end, due to excellent outcome on the VDub trials. Dual Valve springs, stage 2 cam, p&p (would a turbo p&p setup do me wrong if I go N/A for the time being?), retainers, the works, u know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts