Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the money??? I see them for like 150++ for plug wires....daaayyum!!! IF they re worth it Ill save and get em...but whats the next best thing I can get for my d16y8....???

Q

·
0 Posts
Get a msd box, all nology wires to is step up the volts at the plug. A msd box does that and produce multiple sparks through 20 degrese of crank rotation.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have a MSD cap and external coil.... I just dont see spending all of that money on wires...when I need so much other stuff, so some I wanna spend around 80 maybe tops, so what are my choices???

Q

·
0 Posts
Msd wires are like 80 to 100 dollers. If not that I would get ngk wires like modshxcivi said.

D

·
0 Posts
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET THOSE WIRES!

There is no real science behind capacitance discharge wires -unless you count the psychology of sales- I posted a detailed explanation on this sometime back but the gist is this: They look great out in the open at one atmosphere and at 0 RPMs but your engine does not run at 1 ATM and 0 RPM!! The stocks are 3-6mo throw away, accel thundersports are pretty good (have been for me and a few others at least) but forget am or fm. The only wires that I know are worth it are the Magnecor wires. Their website is quite informative and even -a rarity these days- factual. Wires will not make you horsepower or torque but they will make whatever you make now far more efficient -read fuel economy- just like good plugs.
AGAIN, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE NOLOGY HOTWIRES WORTH THE MONEY

for 80 bucks -if you have a CD player or a cassette- i'd go with the accel thundersport. Incidentally, if you send too much amperage (which is what you want to increase as that will increase the temperature and energy of the spark and thus the speed of propagation of the flame front) down too little wire, you will very rapidly fry the wires. Thus, if you went through the trouble of getting the external coil, now is not the time to blink!! Dead wires, whether dead from the outside in (heat) or the inside out (amperage and voltage) are just as dead. Oh, I should mention that as a wire gets hotter, its resistance increases if I recall correctly, by the fourth power (Cation, check?) so...thicker, high quality wires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DseriesScience said:
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET THOSE WIRES!

There is no real science behind capacitance discharge wires -unless you count the psychology of sales- I posted a detailed explanation on this sometime back but the gist is this: They look great out in the open at one atmosphere and at 0 RPMs but your engine does not run at 1 ATM and 0 RPM!! The stocks are 3-6mo throw away, accel thundersports are pretty good (have been for me and a few others at least) but forget am or fm. The only wires that I know are worth it are the Magnecor wires. Their website is quite informative and even -a rarity these days- factual. Wires will not make you horsepower or torque but they will make whatever you make now far more efficient -read fuel economy- just like good plugs.
AGAIN, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE NOLOGY HOTWIRES WORTH THE MONEY

for 80 bucks -if you have a CD player or a cassette- i'd go with the accel thundersport. Incidentally, if you send too much amperage (which is what you want to increase as that will increase the temperature and energy of the spark and thus the speed of propagation of the flame front) down too little wire, you will very rapidly fry the wires. Thus, if you went through the trouble of getting the external coil, now is not the time to blink!! Dead wires, whether dead from the outside in (heat) or the inside out (amperage and voltage) are just as dead. Oh, I should mention that as a wire gets hotter, its resistance increases if I recall correctly, by the fourth power (Cation, check?) so...thicker, high quality wires.

I would have to disagree with this statement i am running the nology plug wires and so are about 4 other of my close friends they do work they work awsome. I have ran 4 different sets of plug wires on my car they are as follows, stock ,msd,tsudo,crane,and last nology hot wires. My car and every car i have seen them put onto runs better with the hotwires and pulls faster 1/4 times. Nology wires are a non resister wire they allow any and all spark flow thru them that is why the have the built in ground straps to insure all spark flows to the correct cylinder.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I might go with some red msd 8.5mm wires, they will match the rest of my ignition...is that gonna work good???

Q

·
0 Posts
I've got msd wires on my 99ex, and got about 18,000 miles on them with no problems.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Performance wise too I think msd stand behind there products...I am gonna need to go priceing them over the net here.....

·
Registered
655 Posts
GO MSD!
They DO stand behnd their product. I have had to send back a set of wires and a dist cap from long ago and they replaced them both. Apparently they changed the way they did something in the wires and dist cap and i had an old set. I have been running MSD for over 4+ years in my 89 civic.

F

·
0 Posts
anybody else but me had trouble with MSD popping off the dizzy. It happened to me lots of times and finaly killed my dizzy coil. I got Accell plugs and they are tight and haven't come off at all. just thought i'd mention this.

·
0 Posts
DseriesScience is correct about the Nology wires - check out "High Performance Honda Builder's Handbook Vol 1, Revised" by Joe Pettitt (and maybe even "Honda/Acura Engine Performance: How to Modify D, B and H Series Honda/Acura Engines for Street and Drag Racing Performance" by Mike Kojima) IMO there is more psych than science behind nology's technology - having a ground strap on each wire presents another path for the electricity to flow (and not through the spark plug). Having no resistor could be detrimental to the cars electronics.... "just take a look, its in a book..."

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
hmm my entire car works fine no problems i have a 900 dollar eclipse cd player i get ever radio station. Ive ran them for over a year now. But dont think i was bashing msd they make really good ignitions. best of luck to all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts