Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my engine rebuild and the installation of the skunk2 cam.....my valvetrain is very noisy. The vavlelash has been adjusted time and time again, usually about twice a night. Ive only had the car back for 3 nights. the cam is still wearing the black coating off of it and as it does, it is understandable to me that i will need to continue to adjust the valves.

But my question is, since the coating is pretty much wore off and the cam is now silver on the lobes.........how much longer am i going to have to keep adjusting the valve lash. The valvetrain is quiet right after i adjust them, but after a few miles (10-20), it gets noisy again with ticking. I know the zex cam is loud, but does anyone know if this is normal with the skunk2 cam.

I mean, im scared to drive the car because the sound is something im just not used to. I know it should be okay, but again, im just not used to it and i wanted to know how normal it is to hear this when a cam has alot of lift like this one does....

thanks alot in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What lash are you setting to?
.007" intake
.009" exhaust

but the last time i set it which was last night i set it just a bit tighter than that at .006" intake and .008 exhaust. I did that i could make it to school and drive around to get it wore in for a longer period of time without having to lash them immediately. I now have about 240 miles on the build.....im going to lash them when i get home and after my car cools down. When i get home i wil have about 270 miles on the rebuild and after i lash them again it will be the fifth time doing it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most cams are going to sound a bit different than stock.. my exospeed stage 3 is pretty loud... the lash is perfectly fine..
i hope thats just the case. when you say yours is loud, do you mean it ticks loud....or do you mean you can hear it lope and what not?

hopefully after i set the lash tonight it will be the last time i have to set it before i put the turbo on. But hey, at least im getting good at it. :TU:

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both lol... i had a soundclip of it up here somewhere that was not long after adjusting the valve lash
k well, good deal. that makes me feel a little bit less worried about it. im going to set them tonight, drive a few hundered miles on it, and then check them on saturday to see how far off they are.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
call skunk2. they are very helpful.
i just want peoples opinions on how noisy their cams are......

i already know what skunk2 will say...."yeah, just keep adjusting the lash"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Adjust them cold, let the car sit over night. As new valvetrains break in, its not uncommon for clearences to change a bit.

Loose valves have alot less to do with vlavetrain noise, uneven valves do. Set the lash again and check it. Dont tighten it up, just reset it

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adjust them cold, let the car sit over night. As new valvetrains break in, its not uncommon for clearences to change a bit.

Loose valves have alot less to do with vlavetrain noise, uneven valves do. Set the lash again and check it. Dont tighten it up, just reset it
thanks for the info....

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i adjusted it again, be very careful and as precise as i could possibly be this time around. I used the rotor on the dizy to be sure i was at TDC on each cylinder.

I made them just a tad snug so there was a little more drag than usual on the feeler gauge. After i was complete, i started it and there is still a slight ticking.......ive come to the conclusion that it is just the noise of the cam. altough not as loud after this last adjustment, the ticking is still there..........i am alot less worried now.

thanks for everyones help :TU:

·
Registered
259 Posts
i adjusted it again, be very careful and as precise as i could possibly be this time around. I used the rotor on the dizy to be sure i was at TDC on each cylinder.

I made them just a tad snug so there was a little more drag than usual on the feeler gauge. After i was complete, i started it and there is still a slight ticking.......ive come to the conclusion that it is just the noise of the cam. altough not as loud after this last adjustment, the ticking is still there..........i am alot less worried now.

thanks for everyones help :TU:
just incase........when you are adjusting the clearance with your feeler guage are you doing it between the cam lobe and the rocker(wrong even though it may seem the same) or between the valve tip and the rocker(correct)?

·
Registered
407 Posts

how much of a differance are you seeing between each time you set the lash. you really should not keep getting loose lash over and over. are you tourquing the nuts properly? also any wear on the rocker pads?

m.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
i have a ticking noise - mainly when it's cold - sorta goes away when it's warm. i kept on doing the valve lash... but bleh - ticking is still there. maybe it's knocking. quick question, let's say you're aiming for "TDC" - is it ok to take out your spark plugs... put a long "stick" in it... and as you're approaching TDC on the crank - you ignore what the block/head says about TDC, and just wait for the "stick" to reach it's maximum height - is that right? (on each cylinder, assuming i'm on the correct one)

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have a ticking noise - mainly when it's cold - sorta goes away when it's warm. i kept on doing the valve lash... but bleh - ticking is still there. maybe it's knocking. quick question, let's say you're aiming for "TDC" - is it ok to take out your spark plugs... put a long "stick" in it... and as you're approaching TDC on the crank - you ignore what the block/head says about TDC, and just wait for the "stick" to reach it's maximum height - is that right? (on each cylinder, assuming i'm on the correct one)
yes that is correct about reaching TDC when the stick comes out at its maximum length HOWEVER there are 2 TDC's on each cylinder. The piston comes up at top dead centre(TDC) for the exhaust stroke to push the burnt gases out with the exhaust valves opening---this is not the TDC you are looking for. You are looking for the other TDC when the piston comes up on the compression stroke and both valves are closed. The easiest way to tell is to take off the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing and ready to fire that particular cylinder # you are setting tdc on...if it is then your at tdc compression stroke and lash away ;)

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just incase........when you are adjusting the clearance with your feeler guage are you doing it between the cam lobe and the rocker(wrong even though it may seem the same) or between the valve tip and the rocker(correct)?
between rocker tip and top of valve.

And when i adjusted them last night a few of them were a little tight, which i assume was from the night before when i made them .006 intake and .008 exhaust.......so i think the cam is finally wore in and i can stop adjusting them. i will do it again in a few days to be sure....but i think it is just the noise of the cam

i think its all good now

thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
407 Posts

that is one way to figure it out, but you should be folowing the helms manual, it will tell you hot to set TDC for te first cylinder and the entire procedure for the rest of the cylinders by working from the camshaft pulley afterwards. you will also be able to see the valves open and close on the cylinder your working on which should make it pretty obvious.

to the original poster, good to hear that things are staying tight. its not a bad idea to just keep an eye out for wear when you do you valve lash. part of standard inspection.
m.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts