Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just rebuilt my d16z6 with brand new eagles and vitaras.. i measured out everything this is my 2nd build i have 1300 miles on it. It was running strong so i slapped my turbo on it t3 t4 57 trim 60 a/r. I just got it tuned it made 314 hp and 242 ft lbs awesome. Im running low boost at 12 psi and high boost at 20psi. I was tuned for both. I hit the switch for 20 psi the other day 3 days after my tune. Now i have a ticking noise. It does not tick till its warmed up. It sounds like it is coming from the head area not lower end like a rod bearing. I checked my compression on all cylinders 1 was the lowest at 95 psi and all the rest were the same at 115 psi ... number 1 cylinder is where i thought the noise was coming from.. also i took notice that number 1 piston was wet the spark plug wasnt just the top of the piston. All the other pistons were dry and every spark plug looked great.

So.. question is.. any thoughts to what the noise might be..? i might take the head and oil pan off this weekend and pop out number one piston and rod to see what the problem is which sucks i just got it back together and tuned. :uh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I flipped while idling.. my tuner said i can switch whenever its pwm setup with a boost solenoid.. if i had something to record the noise i would i can try, it almost sounds like valves but a little louder if the ringlands are cracked can it tick? i just adjusted the valves before i put the turbo on.it dont tick at idle its only at around 2500 rpm and up

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was gonna say ringlands. pull the head and see whats up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i guess that will be the best bet i just dont want to bc i might cry lol nothing sucks worse than putting all that money into it doing it the right way then it only last a couple days

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
or check your valves again. what is the fluid on the piston? You may have popped the HG by cylinder one. or the rings didnt seat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah ill do all that this weekend since it is labor day weekend i got plenty of time to work on it.. thanks guys i let you know what it was

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i went outside and pulled off one of the wires to the plug the noise stops completely usually thats a sign of a bearing but im not gonna lie ive spun bearings on this motor before and this sounds nothing like a bearing its not as loud. Just an annoying ticking sound!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was number one cylinder to so..
1) noise stops when i pull the spark
2) its 25 psi lower than other cylinder
3) the piston is wet
4) blowby its crazy cuz my catch can is smoking like crazy

It's gotta be a blown piston

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
it was number one cylinder to so..
1) noise stops when i pull the spark
2) its 25 psi lower than other cylinder
3) the piston is wet
4) blowby its crazy cuz my catch can is smoking like crazy

It's gotta be a blown piston
Well that blows!:eek:tcrash::shoot:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the noise was not a bearing. It was the floating wrist pin. The snap ring must have broke or something causing the wrist pin to score the cylinder wall. So, my new motor with 1400 miles on it it ruined so any ideas about what I should do?

Find a used block, bore, and hone or sleeve the scored one and go back to standard pistons for more reliablitity?
My current set up is 314 hp I would like to hit high 300 sometime.

I would prob go with the cheaper one but I figure I would have about 400-500 bucks into getting a new block and bore it 20 over, How much does sleeving cost?

sorry so many questions..
Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
how did the wristpin retainer break? those usually in pretty tight, maybe it wasn't seated all the way in and worked its way out. that sucks man!! If your already .020 over then you should look for a used motor, boring it out and machine work will probably be around 350 bucks, thats the only proper way to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so sleeving is not an option! lol i was thinking about getting a used motor if its in good shape hone and and use 75mm vitaras.. this is my 3rd rebuild i have no luck at all my last motor blew bc i was stuck in flash flood water.. the only thing is i have to duplicate the same block and pistons so my cr is the same or ill have to retune right?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
ok so sleeving is not an option! lol i was thinking about getting a used motor if its in good shape hone and and use 75mm vitaras.. this is my 3rd rebuild i have no luck at all my last motor blew bc i was stuck in flash flood water.. the only thing is i have to duplicate the same block and pistons so my cr is the same or ill have to retune right?
Sorry about the bad luck. And a retune will have to be done anyways. If everything is pretty much the same then just trweaking needs to be done vs a full tune from square onr.

Good luck with thee next build.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea same man when I opened it up and saw that I was like wtf.. hard to believe. I thought for sure it was something caused by boost, but I have no idea..
Im gonna go with finding another block and try to do standard vitaras instead of .020 over.
I would like to raise my compression though bc my bottom end was so laggy out of boost but i dont wanna spend money on all new rods from fj, or cp or srp's
but then again a cam can help that right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts