Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm about to pull my crx si tranny out and replace the bearings. The input shaft bearing are certainly going out, but it has a growling noise in 1st gear only. could that be mainshaft bearings? anyone heard that before?

Also, when replacing the bearings do i have to change the selective washer for the mainshaft? Thanks so much guys,

-Robb
(newbie)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the best real fix is to obviously replace it. And when you replace it you'll notice if anything else is broken inside the gearbox. If this is your only car, I'd recommend having a spare tranny to swap with because your first time inside the tranny might take a little while just to make sure you don't miss anything.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
By "it" you ment the main shaft bearing or Input shaft bearing?
Thanks

I can get a good used tranny w/ warenty for $350. I think I'll be swaping tranies w/ the engine. I might hang on to the old tranny & do the bearing latter.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my car makes the same audible "whine " in first gear ( like when in reverse ) - and , if you slow down in 2nd or 3rd and cruise along slowly you can still hear the same noise.

What is it ? I replaced my ISB about 4 months ago and this noise is still there...Mmmm

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
main shaft and input shaft are the same thing. I think maybe the input shaft bearing refers to the bearing closest to the clutch though... not the other end of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I was a noob with trannies, and once i got the tranny open it was about a 3, on 1-10. ISB was a lot easier than i thought it was gonna be. I've yet to tackle the other bearing.

But all the stuff to get the tranny out of the car, and making sure you put it all together in the right order, like putting in the shift interlock guide bolt LAST, is where the real effort and time is. Took me 3 weeks of evenings in the garage, but that included motor mount stuff, axle seals, ball joints, and a bunch of other worn-out parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts