Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car in Question,97 acura el

I went to replace the original clutch, it was well worn. Functioned normally and made no noises.

I installed an exedy oe style pressure plate, comp 6 puck unsprung disc, machined flywheel with new pilot and throwout bearing. Upon starting the car there was alot of noise, high pitch metal shrieking, car would not shift into gear. Started car in gear, would run but it is obvious the clutch is not fully disengaging, letting off the brake would yield a slow creep forwards.

I replaced the crusty slave cyl and bleed the piss out of it, still will not fully disengage.

I removed the trans, inspected and found no signs of rubbing anywhere, throwout and pilot bearing were fine.
A number of people thought it may be the disc and pp not jiving so i reassembled with an oe style disc.

Upon starting it made a loud rubbing sound as in the video below, the clutch operates fine, car drives and shifts fine. The noise lessened after a few moments but persisted. When the clutch is depressed the noise does not subside but it does change a bit. I removed the slave and slide the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate and the sound remains.

Thoughts appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LOVB4nmEU

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Did you happen to take pictures of the parts before installing them? Can you post them if so?

It sounds like the pressure plate has a bent finger(spring for throwout bearing).

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
No pics of the flywheel surface after you swapped the disc?

Are you running the inspection plate? Maybe it got bent some how and is rubbing on that as well. Sounds cyclic... using all original hardware for the flywheel bolts as well?

Did you try spinning everything by hand before putting the trans back on?

I personally dislike pulling the trans from the motor in the car. Higher chances to bend the fingers like Sac said.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it turns out it was the inspection cover, took a bit off running to get it worn so i could see, i installed a different one and it still made noise. I shimmed it a tad and its fine now. The flywheel was off a z6 but i dont think that would make a differance, oh well.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
..I need to find one of those lower flywheel covers during my winter hiatus.

Nice find too, repping for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts