Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:

I was at a stop sign making a left hand turn. I was just about finnished the turn when I felt the engine just lose power totally. After a second or so of stumbling, it died.
I tried starting it again and it wouldn't run unless I gave it some gas, but it would only last about 2 seconds before it would die again. The car was also backfiring and just running really rough.
So my genius idea was to start it, then floor the engine. It revved nicely to about 4000rpm then BOOM it made the bigest backfire ever. Turns out I blew up my brandnew muffler, blew the weld right apart and left a nice black mark on the pavement.

So I have it sitting in the parking lot at my work, I've checked the t-belt, and it's all put on correctly and perfectly lined up. The fuel pump primes and after letting it crank over, you can smell fuel pretty well. I took the distributorcap off and all seems correct. So I'm stumped, why isn't it running?

'90 D15B2, if that helps, and there's no CELs.

My next guess was to find a known-working distributor and see if that solves anything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I havn't.
How do I go about doing that, disconnect the battery for 15 seconds?

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
pop the hood, look at the fusebox on the passenger side strut tower. open it up, look for the red i think 15 amp fuse on the lower left, thats your hazzard fuse. pull it out for about 10 seconds. put it back in, ecu reset :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just because every thing in the dizzy "looks correct" doesnt mean it is. I would try and find one that you know is good and try it out. But you map sensor will also have smiler effects as you decribed. are you getting and cel's?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No CELs, I'm going to try and track down a dizzy today.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spark plugs, wires and fuel filter are only a few thousand miles old.

I'm 100% sure the tbelt is on correctly, it was re-set a few months ago and when I check it today the white-out marks I had drawn on the crank pulley and cam gear were lined up perfectly. When the crank mark is lined up with the pointer on the t-b cover, the "UP" on the cam gear is perfectly straight up.

I'm just waiting for my dad to get home so I can borrow the van and pick up a dizzy and see if that works.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Spark plugs, wires and fuel filter are only a few thousand miles old.

I'm 100% sure the tbelt is on correctly, it was re-set a few months ago and when I check it today the white-out marks I had drawn on the crank pulley and cam gear were lined up perfectly. When the crank mark is lined up with the pointer on the t-b cover, the "UP" on the cam gear is perfectly straight up.

I'm just waiting for my dad to get home so I can borrow the van and pick up a dizzy and see if that works.
That doesn't safe them to be defective! have a check and see if they blow out. Also check your distributor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Screw holding on the rotor fell out and the rotor was spinning freely on the shaft.

Took off the dizzy, screwed it back in and it started up on the first crank.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
im glad you found that out, i was just fixing to suggest that because it has happened to me before too, and i think is a common problem with these dizzys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts