Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know you have no reason to help I'm just at a loss and could use a pointer in the right direction.

The car in question:
1993 Civic DX
D15 y8 mini me
Chipped p28 ecu
5 speed (no clutch safety switch car was auto)

Two weeks ago it started fine. It's torn down for a paint job so ecu and wiring is exposed. After wet sanding the chassis I started it up and drove it to the back garage fine.

A few days ago however I attempted to start it and everything was normal up to the point where the starter should kick over. Instead I got a few clicks and the car lost power completely (dash lights, horn everything). Either by unhooking and rehooking the neg terminal would make the car regain electrical power or by waiting 30 seconds it would come back on its own.

I figured hey must be a grounding issue so I went and cleaned up all the grounding points with a wire wheel. Now the issues worse. When the key is turned to run the fuel pump doesn't stop priming and the CEL doesn't come on and off like normal. It also doesn't sound like the main relay is engaging.

Things I've tried:
Checked all fuses
Disconnected and reconnected all connections in case one may be loose.
Tried a known working ECU
Charged the battery

Side Note: I've been searching and haven't found much yet. Starter / battery and main relay are all new within a year.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured this deserves an update since I hate when I find people asking questions and they never post an answer. So I've spent all morning researching the pin outs and what not seeing what goes where figuring out the best way to do this / that and even pulled my dash and have all the wiring out in plan view. I was totally ready to re wire the entire harness when my Dad called.

I mentioned to him that I had ~10 volts at the thermostat and he said to try connecting a jumper cable from the thermo housing to the neg terminal. Figured what the hell connected everything up and sure enough she fired right up!

Now I just need to make a nice ground for the engine to finalize it! And put the dash back in and clean up the wiring haha.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
lol, so clean ground and then add a longer bolt, run a bigger wire to said bolt to negative terminal, or better body ground.

or upgrade the rest of the grounds. trans, head, and battery to chassis

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, so clean ground and then add a longer bolt, run a bigger wire to said bolt to negative terminal, or better body ground.

or upgrade the rest of the grounds. trans, head, and battery to chassis
I made an additional ground that runs from the thermostat to the negative terminal ground location and noticed I forgot the ground that goes to the head oops.

Starts up every time now!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
when I had starting problems, I upgraded the battery ground, battery to starter, and alt to battery wire to a heavy gauge wire from home depot. I think it was 0/1 gauge wiring. never had an issue since. next step whenever I get around to it, will be same size for the head and trans ground

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Probably what took my sweet sweet sweet civic off the road. I have the harness mostly done, sorry 2J had to try on my own. Actually harder then I thought and I thought it was gunna be pretty hard. Nice fix on the no start, you have close to the same symptoms I had so I am more hopeful at the fixes I made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts