Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 97 ex civic. Speedo, cruise, odometer dont work. I assumed the cruise was because no speedo. Well for shits and gigs i did a VSS because it was cheap and easy. Fixed, speedo and cruise work, still no odometer. Drove it about 5 miles not even. Parked, cleaned, washed, noticed i didnt have a speedo again??

Any ideas? Is the odometer just stuck or something? and if so is this causing the speedo to not work or possibly that vss to go bad since its not seeing any miles put on? or does it not work like that and is there no relation? Kinda confused where to go next.

Any ideas would be helpful

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See i originally thought the same but why did it start working for a bit when i put the new vss in? 9 times out of 10 when the cluster dies it dies. Not too often is it intermittent like that. At least not that ive seen.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
Smack the cluster and check, sometimes it will come back to life for a second. If you aren't getting a CEL then the VSS should be good and then that leaves wiring or cluster to be the issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. Well ill try that and i got another idea i saw/heard of that ill try here after work. Then ill report back. Thanks for the help thus far man.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
edit: Beer man beat me too it, if mine would act up but not short I could smack the dash and it would ether fire up or jump all the way around the 100 and then get stuck behind the bar.

My cluster was acting up, would drop speed and some times cause it to jump around to the bar causing me to open it and re align the needle. It never died, just flickered with life occasionally.

The odometer would not work when the speedo needle was dead, but if it jumped and got stuck behind the bar it would work again. Replaced my cluster this weekend and no more jumpy jump around.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Look at the wires to the vss plug,make sure there clean and not broken. If there good then it could be the cluster.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
This is one thing your looking for in the vss plug,the other is a broken wire. The broken wire is a little harder to find.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good ill double check it, just surprises me that it would work after the new vss but wouldnt before when i had unplugged it and cleaned it out and such(which i didnt state that i did previous) But you'd think it would do the same amount of moving around and such. Oh well, ill check it and go from there.

Ill look for that, broken wires, and then after that if i find nothing maybe ill try screwing with the cluster more and kinda go from there.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
Somebody likely tried to tamper with the odometer reading and killed it.
Doubtful that someone messed with it and that being the cause. I have done the mileage adjustments and it is quite simple if done correctly and will result in no harm to the unit. Even if they did mess with it, the odometer would be the only problem, not the speedo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Even if they did mess with it, the odometer would be the only problem, not the speedo.
If I read the thread correctly, the speedo works but the odometer doesn't. When this happens, the entire unit must be replaced, unless you can locate an obvious problem and fix it.

Edit:

The OP said this:

speedo and cruise work, still no odometer.
This^ is consistent with a bad speedometer unit.

...then later stated that the speedo now also doesn't work.

However, if code 17 is not throw, I would still suspect the speedometer unit is bad, given the OP's original quoted observation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
none of them worked (speedo, odo, cruise) put the vss in, speedo and cruise work right away, but no odo. Then 5 minutes later back to all 3 not working again.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I'm starting to think the cluster is bad but it could all so be the wiring.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so heres what i got. As far as the speedo goes, im thinking its wiring because i unplugged and moved around the wiring again sorta check the connector for anything but didnt get too far into it, basically disconnected, moved around a bit and connected and it worked for awhile. Then later on quit again.

So im thinking as far as the speedo goes, its in the wiring or the connector, so that makes me feel a bit better just gotta find it now.

As for the odometer, i havent looked into that one too much yet. Im thinking the cluster is junk or that the odometer got fucked up somehow because it quit right as it was rolling over to 188000 but the first 8(which shouldnt move in that case) is slightly turned too far, so im thinking something inside got jacked up or is just fucked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts