Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Si
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help:
91 civic Si w/DOHC ZC not getting spark.
Fuel pump is priming, after turning over the car a couple times, pull the plug and it has fuel on it which leads me away from main relay.
I've replaced the ignition switch & igniter, a few months ago the coil pack and last year the rotor and cap.
ECU does the red light flash when you click the key with no CEL light or codes.

Car was running fine one morning, started without a problem. I got about a half-mile away from my house and it died. I managed to restart the car, limp it back to the house and it died about a block away. Since then it turns over but nothing else.

After I replaced the igniter, the car started and idled briefly before having the same issue as before. Pulled the distributor to double check no loose wires from previous work and everything was tight and connected. No CEL, no codes being thrown, I'm at a total loss here, any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Si
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input BeerDrinkin, checked the grounds and made sure all is well and still no luck. It's supposed to rain all weekend where I'm at, so it looks like a have a heavy weekend of research ahead of me.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
It's almost always either grounds or distributor, fish for signals to the distributor and trace, you do have a wiring schematic, right? I'd offer to help, I have a Helm manual but it's for 1994 (surely the same from 92-95), your car is different. If you don't have a proper manual, there are places online, check Honda Tech, that you can find .pdf versions you can access for free.

Good luck

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
When the engine "dies" does it just turn off, but all the dash lights stay lite? If I were you I would add another ground wire straight from the negative post to the engine somewhere just to be sure.

Other than checking the basics like fuses and connections, you might want to take the cap off and check that the contacts are clean and not worn down. I've had rotors/caps that were corroded/cleaned to the point where the the gap between the two contacts was too large to run.

Is it the stock OBD0 or OBD1?

·
Registered
91 Si
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the leads. I took out the distributor again today and checked all the connections, resistance etc and found that one of the wires on the coil had come loos and there was play. I tightened the screw and put everything back together fired right up no issues. And since in the process we replaced the ignitor, the damn thing runs like a dream.
Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts