Honda D Series Forum banner

No run after Mpfi swap

2K views 49 replies 5 participants last post by  beater90 
#1 ·
I've tried searching and can't come up with any answers. After the mpfi swap in my 91 Dx the car will start and run for about 3 sec and then shut off. If I hold the throttle open it will stay running. I have checked the tps and its at .50 at idle and 4.5 wot. All the grounds are good. What else would cause this?
Thanks,
Mike

#4 ·
The car would start and stay running after the swap but the tps was bad and the car was a little out of time and ran really rich. (it's a d16 head and cam on a d15 block). Now I have an adjustable cam gear and have got the timing squared away. I replaced the tps and distributor with known good ones. The real question is why would the car continue to run before swapping the tps and distributor? I thought of the ignition module and tried my other distributor, but it had the same prob. Starts and idles, but dies after a few seconds. Or will start and run as long as I hold the throttle part way open.

Sorry for the broken sentences and thoughts, just running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Mike

#6 ·
Sounds kinda like the ECU to me. Have you tried putting in a known good on e and going from there? Similar to my issue which was the ECU. Also issue may be a dirty IACV? you might try that since it free and easy to do also

Goodluck with it

#11 ·
well being idle related issue, I would think it one of two things other than the ECU. The first things I would check would be the IACV and the FITV. they both are idle controllers. Check and clean them and go from there.

#13 ·
probably a map related code, maybe a lean condition or rich condition,and a tps code....? the plugs are the same, but the wires are different colors, check your service manual wire charts to see, or just swap em real quick and see what happens....

#14 ·
No fitv on this manifold, or at least if there is it's not where i've seen others. It's located on the rear of the manifold toward the drivers side correct? If so there isn't one. I will try the Iacv tomorrow, I can only hope it's that simple. I have had this car down for 3 weeks now waiting on various parts and gas mileage in my truck is starting to kill me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.