Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my efforts, neither my Radiator Fan, AC Condensor fan or AC Compressor will turn on. I've let my car idle till the temp gauge is at about 3/4 and the Rad fan won't turn on, and neither the Condensor fan nor the Compressor will respond to the AC button. I've tested the radiator fan with a 12V source and it runs fine.

The AC system has been evacuated, but I can't recharge it without the compressor working. Will the compressor start working once I start charging it? Can a compressor run in a negative system? When I hit the switch, I don't even hear the compressor click or try to start.

All parts should be good, though have never worked before my eyes, so anything is possible. I suspect there's some relay that has gone bad, though near as I can tell all of these systems have their own relays and I refuse to believe that all three have gone bad randomly, unless there is some single cause.

I also should note that I am suspicious of my alternator though I'm not sure how to check it, do I just put a multimeter on the battery (a dry cell moved to the rear btw) when the car is running?

Thanks, if I can resolve this tonight I'll be able to take the car with me back up to UCF tomorrow.

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
maybe a fuse?

·
Registered
943 Posts
The AC system has been evacuated, but I can't recharge it without the compressor working. Will the compressor start working once I start charging it? Can a compressor run in a negative system? When I hit the switch, I don't even hear the compressor click or try to start.
The a/c system need some pressure for the condenser fan and compressor to run. That shouldn't keep the regular cooling fan from working.

Are you getting power or ground to the cooling fan? Year and model?

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The a/c system need some pressure for the condenser fan and compressor to run. That shouldn't keep the regular cooling fan from working.

My bad, it's a 88 CRX DX with a d16Y5. Everything but the motor itself and the rear battery is native to the car.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe a fuse?
My thoughts too, but I couldn't find a fuse for the AC system, and the fuse for the radiator fan is fine. Any way to test the relays without cutting into the wires?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Condensor fan fuse is a 15amp fuse in with the main fuses on the passenger-side shock tower.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Shouldn't the compressor try to come on? How does it affect the condensor fan? Is there a sensor that disables the whole system if there is no pressure?-

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Condensor fan fuse is a 15amp fuse in with the main fuses on the passenger-side shock tower.
You're right, i'm just being a noob, I had it backwards, the conensor fan fuse is fine, I can't find the radiator fan fuse.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic EX-T
230 Posts
Sounds like a fuse problem. Have you tried checking the connectors/plugs for voltage to each of the components to make sure that power is getting there?

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a fuse problem. Have you tried checking the connectors/plugs for voltage to each of the components to make sure that power is getting there?
I have not tried that, and I don't know why I didn't think of it. I will try that for the radiator fan tomorrow, do you think it's the same problem for the AC stuff? previously it was suggested that it's because the system isn't charged, which I will also try to do in the morning as well.

What are your rims? I like them.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should be in the under dash fusebox.
Odd, I looked but couldn't find it, I'll check again in the morning. This may be a dumb question, but what would it be labeled? I didn't see "radiator fan" anywhere.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic EX-T
230 Posts
I have not tried that, and I don't know why I didn't think of it. I will try that for the radiator fan tomorrow, do you think it's the same problem for the AC stuff? previously it was suggested that it's because the system isn't charged, which I will also try to do in the morning as well.
Not sure about that.

What are your rims? I like them.
16" Rota Sub-zero's

Good luck.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pressurized the AC (it works, Yay!) AC fan came on, Compressor came on, Radiator fan came on. My only theory is that the air conditioning activates both fans, while overheating only activates the rad fan. My assumption then is that the relay activated by the engine overheating has gone bad, while the relay that turns both fans on is still good.

This is an acceptable temporary solution since I can now turn my fan on by pressing the AC button, though I would like to know which relay should turn on the rad fan, and the best way to replace it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Odd, I looked but couldn't find it, I'll check again in the morning. This may be a dumb question, but what would it be labeled? I didn't see "radiator fan" anywhere.
I dont recall what they're labeled as on a crx.

Pressurized the AC (it works, Yay!) AC fan came on, Compressor came on, Radiator fan came on. My only theory is that the air conditioning activates both fans, while overheating only activates the rad fan. My assumption then is that the relay activated by the engine overheating has gone bad, while the relay that turns both fans on is still good.
The fuses and relays are good. You just proved that by turning on the a/c.

So you most likely have a problem with the temp switch, wiring or ground. Try jumping the temp switch to see if the fans run.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont recall what they're labeled as on a crx.

The fuses and relays are good. You just proved that by turning on the a/c.

So you most likely have a problem with the temp switch, wiring or ground. Try jumping the temp switch to see if the fans run.
I found the fuse for the fan, though it doesn't matter now, it's labeled "cooling fan" I overlooked it previously since I thought it was referring to the fan under the dash that blows air through the vents.

My next noob question:
Where is the temp switch? If I'd known where it was, i'd be playing with it already.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
so wait... because it seems i'm going throught the same problem. i took out my AC... and the wires that connected to the AC and etc... (so now there's an open plug on the passenger side near the headlight...you know?) anyways... i don't know if the fan "wasn't working" before the AC pull... but what fuse would i be checking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts