Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We leave that to the experts at the engine shop. They can measure spring pressure.
it's not that complicated. I rebuild a whole head and I can't put it back together cause I don't have the installed spring height spec.

There's two measurements or three actually.

free length
pressure at a given distance
and installing spring height, which I can't find anywhere.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
i guess my question is...if your free length was good...
and you dont have the tools for 'pressure at a given distance'
how much worse off could you be without the installed spring height
buy a new set of springs if the free length is off

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
I think thats just how Honda does it. They figure if free height is with in spec the spring rate is in spec. Your good to go:TU:

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the thing is though, the springs are a certain tension from the factory. cutting the seats and valves moves the valve up in head decreasing spring pressure and decreases pressure between the valve and the seat.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
so what are you going to do about it....?
new springs wont help you there
lol
just making conversation

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
attempt to get the spec. from a machine shop or something.

if not go by a the installed height of the other head I have, that hasn't had the seats or valves cut.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
i mean...what are you going to do to fix the difference in your 'custom' head specs....?
i'd say you could run some b7 intake springs all around in your a6 head for an extra mm...

·
Registered
407 Posts

are you installing stock or after market springs?

when i did my crower install years back the head had a second valve job on it, third if you count the factory. installed height was 10 thousands more then spec. i was originally looking for shims but ended up not using any.

one way to think about it is that 10 thousands is not going to make much of a difference on installed and open pressure. something like 3 lbs if i recall but its been a while

m

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stock.

.010 more then what spec.?? crowers spec. for there springs? I'll have to measure the height in the other head I have and check the pressure difference.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are you installing stock or after market springs?

when i did my crower install years back the head had a second valve job on it, third if you count the factory. installed height was 10 thousands more then spec. i was originally looking for shims but ended up not using any.

one way to think about it is that 10 thousands is not going to make much of a difference on installed and open pressure. something like 3 lbs if i recall but its been a while

m
ok, yeah, I measured the installed spring height of another single zc motor I had and compared it to the installed spring height of the head I'm rebuilding, given that the other head's valve hasn't been cut, but from normal wear the valve is higher cause of the miles, I'm only looking at a 3psi drop in spring pressure on 1 or 2 and 2psi on the rest. which is only a 7-11% lose in spring pressure.

I mean hell, if honda sells them and there hella cheap, then maybe I'll get um, but as of right now I'm not worried about it. which I dont even see them on majestic.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts