Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switch my Oil pan on my d16z6 to a d15b7 oil pan and now, theres no oil on the dipstick. I put in about 3 3/4 and theres barely any oil on it. Just barely on the bottom hole. When I took my old one off, I compare it with the dx and everything is the same. there were no differences whatsoever. Do I need to switch the dip stick? I'm soo getting sick of this motor. I just got the timing fix and now I have this problem. I think I might just blow up the motor and get a b18.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
the b7 pan is a bit smaller than the z6, but like you said they are identical but it's possible to not see it even to a bare naked eye. problems can be the gasket, or a blockage where the oil passes through motor to the pan. my friends z6 turbo ran a oil pan for a y8 that was tapped for turbo and he didn't have no oil at all. check if the pan was re-welded or has been worked on then there's ur problem. either get a stock z6 pan or a moroso.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I just switch my Oil pan on my d16z6 to a d15b7 oil pan and now, theres no oil on the dipstick. I put in about 3 3/4 and theres barely any oil on it. Just barely on the bottom hole. When I took my old one off, I compare it with the dx and everything is the same. there were no differences whatsoever. Do I need to switch the dip stick? I'm soo getting sick of this motor. I just got the timing fix and now I have this problem. I think I might just blow up the motor and get a b18.

Not being funny, but you did put the sump plug in i suppose....:noway:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but when the dip stick indicates low level its time to add more. With that said add more oil. When you swaped the oil pans you took all the oil out of the motor so it may take a lil more to fill it up this one time. If you are having oil loss problems than you need to check if your car is burning oil, oil pan gaskit, drain plug seal, etc... for leaking oil.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but when the dip stick indicates low level its time to add more. With that said add more oil. When you swaped the oil pans you took all the oil out of the motor so it may take a lil more to fill it up this one time. If you are having oil loss problems than you need to check if your car is burning oil, oil pan gaskit, drain plug seal, etc... for leaking oil.
he should be full after puting in 3 3/4 qts...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
reason why I swap the oil pan was because my z6 had a dent in it. I check on honda and the part number were the same. I double check it when I took off the Z6 oil pan and compare it side by side. both of the pan look the same so I thought that if both of them look identifical, I shouldnt have a problem with it. I had almost 4 qts in it so I'm pretty sure that its full. The d15 dip stick sits exactly the same on the d16. its in the middle of the block. I know the d16y are on the side though. Hey devere, What do you mean the by the sump plug?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
1,903 Posts
i would just measure the sticks, they maybe different lengths.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kinda sucks now cause I cant find my other dx dip stick. O well, if it blows I got a good reason to build it...

·
Registered
598 Posts
reason why I swap the oil pan was because my z6 had a dent in it. I check on honda and the part number were the same. I double check it when I took off the Z6 oil pan and compare it side by side. both of the pan look the same so I thought that if both of them look identifical, I shouldnt have a problem with it. I had almost 4 qts in it so I'm pretty sure that its full. The d15 dip stick sits exactly the same on the d16. its in the middle of the block. I know the d16y are on the side though. Hey devere, What do you mean the by the sump plug?
You obviously dont refer to it as the sump. The oil pan drain plug i suppose you would call it over there.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^I look, no luck there. I did it at my work (dealership) and had the car up while idiling and I didn't see any oils leaks from anywhere. drove it home and check, it was still the same. my engine doesn't burn oil for all I know. I don think it'll burn all 4 qts in less than 20 miles. I dont know, its kinda weird.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:werd: Also, depending on the size of the dent, it would have decreased the oil capacity while still showing full on the dipstick. If the pans are the same, fill it until it says it's full.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the oil capacity is about 3 1/2 to almost 4qts. from the way it look on the dip stick, it'll take at least another 1 qts or maybe more to get it all the way to the top.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
did you change the oil filter, too? might have extra capacity to make up, there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts