Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a couple new pistons in and went to prime the turbo before fully starting and there was no oil coming from the drain hose. Upon further investigation there is no oil in the filter. What is next to try and what are the possibilities, like a blocked passage or bad pump?

I have a sandwich adapter to feed the turbo but no oil is coming out of the sandwich.

thanks in advace,

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
you do realize that when the engines cold and hasnt been run recently the oil all drains back into tha pan, and it wont pour outta the filter like during an oil change where it just pulled into the shop

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I've known some people to put a good amount of oil on into the oil filter when installing it. I don't though. The only oil change where I've had oil in the filter when removing it was when the car was still hot/warm.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
i know when i put my feed line on, it took like 3 or 4 10-15 sec intervals to finally prime the turbo enough to where i got just a little drippage out of the drain. when i primed my engine for the first time after building, it took i would say about 30 seconds of cranking in 5-10 sec. intervals...

i always put about 1/2 filter amount in the filter before install and i'm using a sandwich plate as well, i would bet you didn't prime long enough...take the plugs out and make it easier on your starter.

oh and the Honda genuine oil filter has a pressure plug in the bottom to keep some/all oil in the filter so there isn't really a "hard" start...cool little fact the guy showed me at the stealership :bigok:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
is the engine fresh rebuild?

if not, crank for about 30 seconds and see if you can get some oil. there should be oil coming out of the drain line after that. there should be oil after 15-20 seconds, with good flow too.

if so, you might want to check the oil pump and strainer for blocks or if its pumping oil. if everything is good, lube up the bottom end and crank it for 15 seconds or so. this should allow plenty of time for the oil to make it through the system.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
is the engine fresh rebuild?

if not, crank for about 30 seconds and see if you can get some oil. there should be oil coming out of the drain line after that. there should be oil after 15-20 seconds, with good flow too.

if so, you might want to check the oil pump and strainer for blocks or if its pumping oil. if everything is good, lube up the bottom end and crank it for 15 seconds or so. this should allow plenty of time for the oil to make it through the system.
good info. cant rep u again for the time being. gots to spread the love

another thing to think about is if the pick up is not getting an air tight seal you might have some problems sucking up oil from the pan.

if u crank that SOB for more than 90 seconds total and there is no oil in the filter something is wrong for sizzle.:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
another thing to think about is if the pick up is not getting an air tight seal you might have some problems sucking up oil from the pan.
very possible.

if u crank that SOB for more than 90 seconds total and there is no oil in the filter something is wrong for sizzle.
eek!! 90 seconds.. might have to start looking for those bearings after that..

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you could say it's a partial rebuild. I replaced two vitara pistons and put new rings on all the pistons while I was there.
I took the pick up off and cleaned the fuk out of it

I've cranked on it for well over 90seconds worth and still no oil (not at the same time, obviously) probably 2 mins worth total. I haven't had this problem before. It's always started priming oil out of the outlet after about few intervals

something fosizzle is wrong.
how do I ensure the oil pump is pumping?

what do I do next?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
did the oil pump work before you pulled the motor..??? if so, you did something wrong... after my rebuild about 3 weeks ago, i cranked it for about 30 seconds, after that i re plugged the injectors and sparkplugs, and started it up.. 5 seconds later i had 80psi of oil pressure... mechanical guages are a little slow in reading at first start.. but they never lie. i also lubed my bearings, and even cylinders walls really well before reassembly to ensure everything will be ok for when i start it up and wait for my oil pressure to build up.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
did you lube everything well..??? also do you have a working oil pressure guage?

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
i would definitely look into getting an oil psi gauge, i have the autometer mechanical gauge and works great, is your oil light on on the dash the whole time?

i would check the sump tube for the pump, make sure there is a new seal there, if you can, check the oil filter passage and if you feel compelled, take the oil pump apart and make sure nothing is majorly out of place or jacked up. i can't see why you have no pressure unless the rotor in the pump isn't turning?

good luck man, hopefully it's something stupid/easy

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, I'll be taking the oil pump off and apart

First, maybe blow some air through the filter passage.

I bought a cheap oil gauge, water temp, amp meter cluster from Autozone yesterday. The damn oil gauge connector is NPT and the oil sender is BSPT; hmmm need some sort of T-adapter.
and
the water temp probe, where tha fuk do I put that huge thing?

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
cool, I'll be taking the oil pump off and apart

First, maybe blow some air through the filter passage.

I bought a cheap oil gauge, water temp, amp meter cluster from Autozone yesterday. The damn oil gauge connector is NPT and the oil sender is BSPT; hmmm need some sort of T-adapter.
and
the water temp probe, where tha fuk do I put that huge thing?
well unless you buy the TT water adapter kit, that huge mechanical gauge thermocouple is not going to fit anywhere... you need to get an electrical water temp gauge and drill/tap the upper rad hose housing with 1/4" NPT and sink her in that way...this is what i did:

as for the oil pressure, easiest way is to get a sandwich plate or hunt around local auto parts/hardware stores looking for the BSPT to NPT adapter with a Tee fitting but i dont recommend using/tapping the stock oil pressure sender on the block because the longer lever arm you hang off there, it's going to be prone to snap off and then you have a whole nother can of worms to deal with.

i have my oil temp/oil psi/oil feed line off of the sandwich plate, the water temp in the bleeder valve and vac/boost line off of the intake mani

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
take off your oil filter

crank it

check for oil on the ground.

:)

i bet its just a funny filter thats draining it all out

did you replace the pickup gasket and remember to remove the old one??

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Some people pack your oil pumps with Vasoline upon a fresh rebuild. Not like I did it, but it "might" here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts