Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one and only e85 station near me quit carrying it. I have a boosted z6 making 300whp on e85 and now I need to consider other fuels. 91 octane is the best pump fuel I can get unless I drive two hours to the nearest e85 station. That or 110 leaded race gas or possibly 100LL avgas. I really don't want to use leaded if I can avoid it.

My engine has a ported and turbo cam z6 head with 9:1 compression pistons. I've been running about 22psi boost. Will 91 octane support 300whp on a proper tune or am I going to be detonating it to death? I'm just looking at my options right now.

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
I think it matters more if you have another vehicle to get the other fuel or not. I know picking it up vs shipping makes all the difference for me on race fuel, just shipping on 5 gallons of vp is $45-50 and I can pick up 5 gal cans for $35 a piece from a distributor.

Edit: cause transzex's link was lame

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get unleaded race gas, but won't be cheap.

Start blending....

United Oil | Race Fuels

You can also get E85 in a drum, no worries about winter blending.
So when you say start blending do you mean like mixing c16 and 91 octane pump? Thanks for the link. Custom. Ya I've bought leaded 110 from there. It the only race gas they sell in the pump because it is popular with the drag racers. Other is only available in 5 gallon cans. Very expensive but I guess it is what it is.

I think it matters more if you have another vehicle to get the other fuel or not. I know picking it up vs shipping makes all the difference for me on race fuel, just shipping on 5 gallons of vp is $45-50 and I can pick up 5 gal cans for $35 a piece from a distributor.

Edit: cause transzex's link was lame

VP Drag Racing Fuels
Not lame. Pretty much linked right to my source. I wish I could get vp that cheap. I need to call united oil and see what current prices are.

I believe you can order barrels of e98 pretty damn cheap
I'm looking at $225 for a 50 gallon barrel. It is the going and getting it that is a problem.

Ordering any kind of fuel seems like a huge hassle, isn't 91 Oct good for like 350-400whp depending on compression?
Maybe. I'm going to tune with it this weekend and see how manageable detonation is with it.

Damn, why dont you ask the station why they got rid of E85? Maybe you can talk them into bringing it back
I called them. They said it wasn't their decision. That they are looking to put 91 non ethanol in there. Douche bags...

Why not 91-93 Octaine + Methanol Injection?
No 93 available. Methanol injection, idk it just seems so sketchy.

I think so far my plan is to work on a safe tune for 91 and see how I like it. I can still get e85 in Boise which is where I do much of my racing. I have a lot of gas cans I could find a way to keep some on hand but I need to ration it out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What ems are you using, may be a flex fuel sensor is in your future. Tune the car to drive around on 91 and add some e85 when you go to the track

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I would say give it a shot and see what power it makes. If its not enough I would toss a water meth kit at the car. If you cant handle that turn the boost down.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What ems are you using, may be a flex fuel sensor is in your future. Tune the car to drive around on 91 and add some e85 when you go to the track
Megasquirt. And I already got one I just need to wire it in.

I made almost 400whp on 93, 8.5:1 compression. I would think 91 could handle 300. But I am no expert. I just couldnt imagine the detonation limit of 91 is that far off from 93, since you are not going over 300.
I began tuning today by pulling 6 degrees timing from my high cam map. So far so good. Detonation wise. I don't know how much power changed.

I would say give it a shot and see what power it makes. If its not enough I would toss a water meth kit at the car. If you cant handle that turn the boost down.
I plan to make it run ethanol at the track assuming I can get it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far I've retuned my high cam map by taking 2 degrees out (4 out above 6000rpm). I started by taking 6 degrees out and adding a little at a time. This is just street and I would like to dyno it again to see the change. It seems to be on the edge of knock at least up high.

Ethanol has about 99-100 pump octane by itself. Pump e85 can vary so much but it is around 95-98. Race e85 is made by mixing 100 octane with ethanol and you end up with 98-99 octane. It is weird but ethanol blends are non linear. 10% ethanol is a significant boost in octane. It is as though 119 octane fuel was mixed in. But it becomes diminishing returns as you increase the ethanol content.

So I had a thought. Maybe taking non ethanol 91 octane and adding 10-20% ethanol would get me up to 94-95. I need to check into this.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Funny you say that. I am having a knocking issue with my little D15B2 right now. It just doesnt want to make more than 220ish-whp without having some sporadic detonation issues. Current fuel is a 94 octane gasoline. (Chevron)

Thinking about trying to find a 94 octane 10% ethanol blend (Husky, Petro Canada) or even trying a 91 octane E10 (Shell, Chevron, Husky).

I will keep you updated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts