Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'll be converting my D16Y8 to OBD1 with a P28 uberdata ecu, and I've found through my reading that most of the D-series motors don't have knock sensors, the Y8 does, but the P28 doesn't have provisions to support one.

I'm used to using the knock sensor when tuning, what do you guys do instead? Read plugs? EGT? Knock can? I'm hoping to be tuning by spring, but all the other cars I've had experience with (GM FWD w/ HPTuners) I was able to use the knock sensor and my WB O2 sensor to get a decent street tune.

I'm considering wiring in a knock guage like this one:

https://www.casperselectronics.com/...ROD&Product_Code=102004&Category_Code=Special

It's pricey for something I'm used to having built in though. I'm also not sure if the knock sensor will work without an ecu that supports it (does it need a power source?) I'm pretty sure it will work, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Any insight?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Or you could chip your P28 with something like a Hondata S300 and run the knock sensor to your ecu. Then when knock is detected it automatically retards timing a couple degrees. Kind of a nice safety feature.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See that's what I'm used to, but I don't want to drop 2X+ the $$ that it would cost for uberdata and the necessary hardware at this point. The car is NA for now, and will be for at least a year, I just want to be able to learn the program and see what I can get out of it for now.

For now, I'm more looking for solutions that involve using uberdata, or maybe chrome. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use an electronic DET CAN.

lots of guys have been running rubber hoses with a copper pipe bolted to the block. works well either way

search for "det" on honda-tech and you get several relevant threads, one being
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555006
Thanks for the link! I'm sure it can be done without a knock sensor, I'm just used to doing things a certain way, and trying to sort out how I'm going to tune this car before I start buying hardware.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I read that whole link, and will for sure be building one of these. Anyone else have any insite?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts