Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a zc with what i believe is a super 60 running 8 psi

I threw it together pretty quick just to drive a turbo car again so i didn't use a intercooler... I am getting one soon so dont yell at me

Im just curious on how much a difference i will feel in power?

Guess I am just excited want to know if i will be feeling more pull

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
intercoolers get you more pussy, and that you can feel.

you should net an amount of hp directly proportional to the amount of temperature decrease to the intake charge. Shitty intercooler= not much hp gain.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol ok i dont know about the more pussy part... kind of just had this on my mind at work and just had to ask this stupid question

i feel like its going to be all in my head like putting a strut bar on your car... but i want POWER!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found this cool video while on my search for differences... thought its worth to share.

its in Degree Celsius

left is after turbo before intercooler right is after intercooler before TB

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You will gain a little bit of power, but dont expect a huge change. The difference is that now you can run more boost and more timing, which will make a lot more power.

The fact that you are able to run 8 psi non-intercooled tells me that you have some pretty conservative tuning going on. Either that or youre getting detonation and dont know it.
How is your care tuned? What gas? Know your AFRs?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crome Street tuned lol i told chrisbones im making a det can when im off tomorrow

93 oct... i have lc1...

i wouldnt say conservative chris took a look and said wasnt looking that safe.... .75 retard for every pound... a/f look good tho just a little rich down low but boosting is a 11.3-11.8

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Thats quite rich. Also, 0.75 degrees per psi is meaningless without knowing where it starts. I see people pulling dynamic timing starting at stupid conservative advance at 100 kPa.

Lets hope that it is conservative, because you dont have much headroom without that intercooler. I speak from experience, having owned and daily driven an non-intercooled turbo car in Florida.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well its from the stock zc map

first column of boost is 26* at 8k

does seem pretty extreme and thats what chrisbones said as well.. but i kept running this map only because my spark plugs didnt seem awful and it rips ...kaboom?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but im glad you brought this up... i really didnt think about it affecting timing

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Nope, thats conservative. Youll probably be fine, but its always your duty to know what detonation sounds like and listen for it. A det can is certainly a good idea. And, of course, get on that intercooler. Even if you dont tune for more power, it will give you a lot more safety cushion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard that sir! Thanks again

and your not just yanking my chain with the timing are you? after looking at other maps i started worrying myself... but like i said kept going since i didnt notice anything on spark plugs abnormal.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Id have to see the map to be sure, but it sounds very basemap-ish. Which is probably pretty good considering you dont have an intercooler. Once you have one you will certainly be able to give it more advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just back to the main question you had. YES you will seen gains in hp after adding an intercooler but most of all will help on hot humid days and get that air temp back down.. and will deffinitly be a plus in protection from detanation aka "knock" .. Just to put a clear answer in this thread.. For anyone else that might be searching for a answer of the same question

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry my head bounces from one question to another

intercooler kit is on the way as we type!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts