Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've recently installed a new engine and engine management system and had everything working a few days ago, now, no more. The engine is a built high comp D16Y7 and the ECU is a P06 converted to VTEC and I'm running an OBD2B-OBD1 harness. The car was running great less then a week ago but I ran into a problem with my rear main seal so I dropped the trans to fix it. Now that that job is all done the car won't start. I tested for spark and fuel and have neither. My fuel pump is also not priming. The car cranks over but no fire.

The things I've checked for are:
  • Spark
  • Fuel
  • Fuel pump
All three are dead

Things I've checked and ruled out are:
  • ECU (tested two)
  • Conversion harness (OBD2B ecu didn't work as well)
  • ECU fuse
Any insight would be great. Is there a relay for the ECU? I wsa reading about a PGMFI relay? Where is it?

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
why the hell did you convert it to vtec on a y7? the po6 would have been fine....

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
if it was running before you dropped the tranny more then likely you messed something up or forgot to plug something back in, etc. Highly unlikely something just happened to fail now, that was working.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
why the hell did you convert it to vtec on a y7? the po6 would have been fine....
Just in case I ever want to go vtec. It made more sense to spend the extra few bucks now instead of buying a new ecu later. I plan on building a 2L GSR later down the road.

if it was running before you dropped the tranny more then likely you messed something up or forgot to plug something back in, etc. Highly unlikely something just happened to fail now, that was working.
That's what I was thinking but I went back over everything and nothing of importance is unplugged. Also I don't know of any sensor that has the ability to render the ECU entirely functionless.

Is there a relay for the ecu?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Grounds?

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call, I think I'm going to start replacing them soon. I did snap a small little ground strap bolt for the trans ground but I just made another and lengthened it further back on the trans. I wonder if this could be causing it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The ecu controls spark fuel and pump. The ecu grounds on the engine. The engine is grounded by one big one on the trans and one small one on the motor.

Will your cel come on for 2 sec then go out? If not the ecu is not getting power or ground.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ecu controls spark fuel and pump. The ecu grounds on the engine. The engine is grounded by one big one on the trans and one small one on the motor.

Will your cel come on for 2 sec then go out? If not the ecu is not getting power or ground.
Nope no CEL. I think it could be the ground. I'm going to clean all the contact points and make new ones with thick gauge amp power wire.

The one on the motor is on the thermostat housing. Very important ground!!!

If you think your main relay is an issue, it's located on the passenger side of the dashboard. You have to remove the cover on the end of the dash next to the door.
Cool! I was looking all over for it. I was reading the FSM and saw that its up there but didn't think of going that route. I was going to remove my entire blower fan and housing.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Check your dizzy, same thing happened to me and my dizzy was upside down lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts