Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my hatch today and noticed the BOV wasen't working. This is only the 2nd time I drove since putting a t3 on it. Could it be because theres not much boost running? wastegate has a 5.83psi spring in it, but it has a FMIC so maybe running to low boost to notice the BOV. The boost guage is in the vac line for the BOV also. It shows no boost on it. What can I do to make everything work? the next sring I have is a 14psi one. I want to run about 7-8psi.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
BOV works off vacuum, so it should open no matter what when you come out of boost. if your gauge is not reading boost and your bov isnt working, my guess is you arent building boost. check all your piping for loose couplers or a leak somewhere

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the couplers are tight, I thought it was building boost beacuse the charge pipe that connected the IM popped off a few times under boost. But the guage made me think about it. Where could I splice the guage in to read bioost better? Would the bov normally open at about 5psi?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Reckone said:
All the couplers are tight, I thought it was building boost beacuse the charge pipe that connected the IM popped off a few times under boost. But the guage made me think about it. Where could I splice the guage in to read bioost better? Would the bov normally open at about 5psi?
run your vac lines for the bov and gauge to 2 seperate connections. i run my bov and gauge to the 2 vac ports on the back of the IM.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha, I was thinking of doing that too. Should I run my wastegate from the compressor? Right now its off the FPR with the fmu.

C

·
0 Posts
Does your boost gauge have vaccum on it to? If so what is your reading at idle. If you were blowing off your piping your were building boost at that time. If you cant make any boost, its mostly likely your piping has a leak.
If you wanna know how to make a boosted piping tester to check for leaks message me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i had a problem where i was not boosting awhile back....i checked and checked and one day when i was working on my car i changed my cat and then it started working....try hollowing it out of sumthin and see if that works for u....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SleepingCRX88 said:
i had a problem where i was not boosting awhile back....i checked and checked and one day when i was working on my car i changed my cat and then it started working....try hollowing it out of sumthin and see if that works for u....
Yea the cat has been hollowed out for a year now since I put a 2.5" catback on the car. I will be checking it for leaks tomorrow. Is there any where I can get a Vac diagram for a d16 online? I can't seem to find anything on the vac system.

The boost guage reads at 0 when at idle. I was thinking of useing some soap and water on the IC piping to see if it leaks. Then check vac hoses uses carb cleaner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it matter if there is a head spacer between the head and block? I got the car to boost to 6psi according to the guage. I hooked the bov and wastegate to the brake booster. The bov opens when I hit 3rd gear. I keep getting a code 3 for the MAP though. I already have 4 check valves between the MAP and TB.

C

·
0 Posts
Vaccum leak prolly. Gauge should read -15 , -20 at idle. You being at 0 mean no vaccum at all. So maybe the line going to your gauge isnt connected at the motor somewhere. Does your car rev on its own at idle?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
BTW, the BOV opens when it sees vaccuum, not boost. It is connected to the intake manifold so when you close the throttle, the BOV opens to bleed all the excess boost out from the charge pipes.

It's the wastegate that opens when it sees a certain amount of boost.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts