Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my clutch replacement finally done and took it off jackstands been driving it the passed 2 days no problem feeling nice and smooth and every gear running good and today when i pulled up to a stop sign it seems like 1st and 2nd and neutral isn't there and like that half of the H pattern isnt there and wont go in i put it on jack stands and i noticed the brand new bitch pin i took out of the freezer and slid in is now flat on the bottom and isn't all the way through is it the trans or just not getting enough leverage because the bitch pin is only in halfway i had thought about putting a bolt in but i also seen that it produces slop i wouldn't have gotten a short throw shifter and new linkage and bushings and shifter bolts and pin if i didnt care about slop would i be able to use a smooth bolt with threads on the end would that produce slop at all if its tight in there

the green is what it feels like
the red is what's acting nonexistent

Rectangle Font Logo Graphics Parallel

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Could you break that down into a readable format? One giant run on sentence.....

Perhaps it is because of having a few wobble-pops, but I cannot follow....

Couple pictures would help as well.

I get that the bitch pin on the shift rod is goofy. Is the joint feeling sloppy at all? Is the bushing rubber, poly replacement, or spherical replacement? Is there any damage to the backside of the stabilizer rod that has that trans-bump style bushing right behind the shifter? the bracket that covers the bushing can indeed get smashed by road debris, and block movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it seems like a 4 gear shifter instead of a 5 gear i cant get into 1st or 2nd or even on that side of the shifter 3rd 4th and 5th and reverse is the only ones itll go in 1st and 2nd feels like there is a wall blocking me from that side of the H pattern if you look at the photo made the entire red part is inaccessible

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
it seems like a 4 gear shifter instead of a 5 gear i cant get into 1st or 2nd or even on that side of the shifter 3rd 4th and 5th and reverse is the only ones itll go in 1st and 2nd feels like there is a wall blocking me from that side of the H pattern if you look at the photo made the entire red part is inaccessible
Is this while the engine is running and clutch depressed?

Can it shift normally while the engine is not running?

Did it do this before you replaced the clutch?

If you have these shifting issues engine not running, verify the shift linkage isnt binding or similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it didnt do it until i tried to take off at a stop sign i tried to get it on that side of the H pattern and its like a wall on the neutral wont let it go on that side it was working properly for 2 days after the replacement everything was normal and smooth

its like this with the engine off or on doesnt matter

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
it didnt do it until i tried to take off at a stop sign i tried to get it on that side of the H pattern and its like a wall on the neutral wont let it go on that side it was working properly for 2 days after the replacement everything was normal and smooth

its like this with the engine off or on doesnt matter
Check the shift linkage and knuckle that attaches to the trans shift shaft, as it was the last thing you touched before this started that could cause what you're describing.

You never know if a bushing in the linkage somewhere might have decided to finally finish evaporating after removing it from the trans to replace your clutch. Shit happens.

Get a buddy to try shifting through the range while you watch the linkage for anything weird, better yet take a video of this and share with us.

Else, its inside the transmission.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Take a few pictures of the bottom of the car, showing the joint area with the pin and bushing, and one of the rear chassis bushing that supports the stabilizer bar.

Then a 3rd showing the bottom of the shifter and lever.

That way, we can rule out something physically wrong with the shifting setup, and try to pin it on the transmission itself, or the clutch fork.

But the easiest will be to have a helper push the clutch in and out while you watch the fork. Removing the rubber boot will allow you to see if the clutch is actually engaging fully.

1st and 2nd by far get the most wear and tear, and a goofy clutch system can interfere quite easily.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
Check the shift linkage and knuckle that attaches to the trans shift shaft, as it was the last thing you touched before this started that could cause what you're describing.

You never know if a bushing in the linkage somewhere might have decided to finally finish evaporating after removing it from the trans to replace your clutch. Shit happens.

Get a buddy to try shifting through the range while you watch the linkage for anything weird, better yet take a video of this and share with us.

Else, its inside the transmission.

<------ This

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it going again thanks for the help guys it was the pin like i thought i slammed it out and put a 5/16th bolt in and also the short throw shifter wasnt welded properly so i had to switch it to another short throw shifter i had laying around that was by far alot more expensive and completely solid

ill get a ride along and walk around video in the next couple of days explaining what the issue was as well

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,798 Posts
Put a proper pin in or modify the swivel end to work as a clamp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts