Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had nitrous on the back of my mind for a good year or so. I was initially going to build up a tight z6/y8 hybrid, but I ended up selling all the parts so I could have money to move into an apartment. I recently came VERY close to selling my car, but I dont feel like Im done with it just yet. So nitrous is the way to go for me I think. I dont have a garage to tinker in all day, so I need something pretty low maintenence.

Here is what I have:
1997 Civic EX w/ 82k
AEM CAI
2.25" cat-back

Here are my thoughts:
Zex dry kit with 55 shot, purge valve and remote opener
Header
Walbro fuel pump (190 or 255)
FPR

Now come the questions:
How does that sound? Am I missing anything? What header (4-2-1 or 4-1) would best suit this app? Is a 255lph fuel pump overkill? If not, should I get standard or high pressure? I want this system to be as low-maintenence as possible, and also as reliable as possible (its my daily driver). Let the input flow!

T

·
0 Posts
Sounds fine.

Yes, the fuel pump is overkill, but at the price of the 255s (fuel-pumps.net sells them for like $100 shipped) you can't beat it.

4-2-1 will be fine. 4-1 are made for more high end power (upper RPMs for race apps), 4-2-1 will give you more mid range power, street app.

I once ran a *very* similar setup, a few years back.

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how did you like the nitrous setup? From your screen name I can tell that n2o probably wasnt enough for you. :) Did you experience any problems with it? How was the reliability? Did you have to spend much time on maintenence of the system? ANy suggestions or advice you could give would be tight.

BTW....Walbro 255lph for $89 from Lightning on H-T.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you want an easy kit to use? go get a zex kit.. the 255lph pump will make you run rich all the time unless you got a good fpr to turn it down, but you need it for the 75 shot. good set of headers will help. just follow the instructions and you will be all set. look on ebay for the zex kit, they are going for around 300 used and even less. i sold mine for 320 on ebay like over a month ago. dont forget the colder plugs if you go over the 55 shot try out bkr7e11 ngk plugs thats what i used to use.. good luck

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I picked up a Zex dry kit and ran a 55 shot, I wouldnt really NEED anything? A header is definetely coming soon. Im not sure if I can trust a used nitrous system. I like spending the extra cash for new stuff, so when it fucks up I know it was my own fault. :)

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
colder plugs wouldnt hurt .. the FPR is a must .. and just my .02 cents .. dont get a " dry " setup ... i would spend the extra cash and get a ZEX wet kit ... less problems to worry about with fuel pressure and all .. but I guess since you'll be running the FPR you should be fine .. nitrous is very low maintenence just ask Toddnos .. transzex ... they all run juice without problems ... good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how things are coming along ..

T

·
0 Posts
Deck said:
So how did you like the nitrous setup?
It was cute while I had it. Not really enthused with refilling the bottle. The power gian was nice though. However, forced induction is most definately the way to go.

From your screen name I can tell that n2o probably wasnt enough for you. :)
Heh.. that is an understatement. :D

Did you experience any problems with it?
None at all. I got it installed in like 3 hours (including all of the running of the line sunder the car and such), and was on the road again. Only problem I had was that I burned up the stock clutch in like 2 - 3 weeks, thus the Clutch Master Stage 3 w/ flywheel (in the picture).

How was the reliability?
Never had a problem. Not a one form the day I installed it until the day I took it off.

Did you have to spend much time on maintenence of the system?
Only to refill the bottle. 0% maintenance

ANy suggestions or advice you could give would be tight.
Go with it.. it's a fun little setup for a quick burst of power. I'm not really pro-nitrous for racing (having experienced nitrous, supercharging, and turbo charging), and "being fast", but definately fun, and gives cars that much needed edge when playing on the highway.

BTW....Walbro 255lph for $89 from Lightning on H-T.
Good to know.. That's a very fair price.

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff! I dont really race....I just more or less like to play on the freeway. I cant afford tickets!
I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. If the government wasnt so damn slow I could have a zex kit right now, but I havent seen a return yet! Looks like I will factor in a new clutch into the equation, just in case. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts