Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nos wet kit that I want to install in my y7 auto, I want to start with a 50 shot and maybe go up to a 75 shot
I already have y8 intake manifold, Cai, header, and 2.25 inch exhaust.before I install the nitrous kit I'm installing a FPR and a walbro 190 fuel pump and maybe I will get a delta 272 regrind.

My question is if a 75 shot is safe for my setup or will it be better just to stay with the 50 shot and wiill the auto tranny hold the extra power?

also is there any way I can run y8 injectors in my y7
I have a set of y8 injectors and I was thinking about installing those in my car and tune it with an AFC. Will that be possible?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stay with the 50 shot to be on the safe side. If you want to up it to a 75 shot I would suggest larger injectors, 310 RC injectors or DSM's (The y8's are only Denso 240), and if you can maybe a larger fuel pump (255). That is the least you could do for a 75 shot, if you want to be EXTRA safe, a little block work (rods, pistons) wouldn't hurt either, but honestly just stay with the 50 shot.

·
Registered
901 Posts
retard the timing, run colder plugs. i'm not thinking you need to run bigger injectors or a larger fuel pump, but expect some wear on your stock internals. that's almost twice the horsepower for the y7, and obviously block work would be a good idea

·
Registered
924 Posts
75 is a nice safe shot. You don't need to change your injectors or use colder plugs. Just pull some timing out and run a higher octane fuel when you are going to use the nitrous.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I allways use 93 octane fuel in my car.And about changing my injectors for y8 injectors I thought it was an upgrade because the y7 comes with 190cc injestors and y8's are 240cc.

Will I be able to tune the injectors with an AFC because my car is an auto so obd1 conversion is out of the question until I convert to manual but I think I'm staying automatic for a while

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about pulling some timing, I thought it couldnt be done in obd2 because the ECU will correct it

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can pull a 75 shot, I would prob run a 65 first and see how it gose but thats me, You DO NOT need bigger injectors because you have a wet shot. Just read your plugs (colder plugs) at the end of every run, if they look like your lean put in a bigger fuel jet etc.... Have fun

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
im going to go against what a few people said here in the thread.

1 person said dont change your plugs for a 75 shot, i personally think its wrong. i would go at least 1 step colder if not 2 just to be on the safe side.

the other thing, since you already have some mods done to your motor to increase airflow, i would only go higher than a 50 shot when it was being watched on a wideband air/fuel ratio meter. i would not use the watch the plugs method. thats just me, i usually do things on the safer side. detonation can ruin the motor before you know it.

yes you can retard timing on the obd2 motors, the ecu wont change it. make sure you use a timing light, dont just turn the distributor like some people do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much timing will I have to pull to run the 75shot?
are the bkr7e plugs 2 steps colder?

does anyone know if I can install y8 injectors and tune with AFC

·
Registered
78 Posts
j90crx, what sort of times are you seeing in the quarter mile, I am also looking into running a 75 shot on my y8 w/ pretty much the same mods (no head work though)?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I spray twice that and I use stock Honda plugs.

I don't agree nor will I tell anyone else to use stock heat range plugs while on nitrous or when boosted. Its a stupid choice, when colder plugs are the same price as stock range plugs. do whatever you want though, its not my money, or time invested in your engine.

You don't have to listen to me. call up ngk, they state to go at least 1 step colder for every 75hp over stock hp rating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
go with colder plugs and retard the timeing i cant remember how far back to
retard the caming as its been awile since i removed the Y7 head and installed the Z6 and since youve already got the y8 injectors put them on itll help out some

·
Registered
283 Posts
Stevex, Let me give you one word of advice S L I C K S. The fastes time if have gotten is a 14.12 @ 106. I have had consistant 2.6 60ft times on street tires spraying. You will with out a doubt need slicks if you have a hatch

·
Registered
29 Posts
how will one find a "colder plug"? how can we find out which plug cold or hot. sorry im new to this whole sparkplug deal. im here to learn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts